Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who wants a toilet installed in his basement. The plumbers left the flange up 3/8 or 1/2 in anticipation of a floor covering. I've never installed a toilet on a flange which wasn't flush with the floor.

Question-How far can the flange stick up and still allow the toilet to be installed?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
As long as it doesn't actually touch
the china.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I have a friend who wants a toilet installed in his basement. The plumbers left the flange up 3/8 or 1/2 in anticipation of a floor covering. I've never installed a toilet on a flange which wasn't flush with the floor.

Question-How far can the flange stick up and still allow the toilet to be installed?
It will be fine

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If the toilet clears the flange. --Use in old fashioned all wax ring--Some of the ones with plastic cones also have a foam ring under the wax. MIKE

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Those dogs! I didn't know that they were cheating me out of wax?:furious:
Steve

quote=mikeswoods;785265]If the toilet clears the flange. --Use in old fashioned all wax ring--Some of the ones with plastic cones also have a foam ring under the wax. MIKE[/quote]

·
The Old Master
92 Posts

When a flange is installed improperly and there is a gap below the flange.
When a toilet is set the wax is pushed through the bolt slots.

When this occurs the seal will fail and leak water or worse yet
(sewer gas). As a plumber I would opt to repair the flange and set it correctly. But there is an alternative, you can set on a rubber gasket.
IE: Wolverine Brass 3/8", 9/16", 3/4" and 1".

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Raise the floor a ¼".

I agree with this,

If its an unfinished basement than looks aren't as important as functionality, it should work fine.

Just cut a piece of PT plywood out, a little bigger than toilet, and drop down over the flange. You can trace it out on the plywood just bigger than toilet, paint it, etc....

Toilet has a solid base to rest on, and this can easily be reversed when the need to install flooring arises later down the road.

No leaks, Proper support and elevation, and removable with little effort for later upgrades. :thumbsup:

This might not be the right way, but your in a situation that isn't right to start with! You decide?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
If $ are an issue, Raise the area just under the bowl, Match the footprint of the bowl, cut a piece of wood, (Stone would be better), paint it white to match the bowl, set bowl on top of buildup. G

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Any access to the flange? Is it PVC or cast?

It is installed in a basement slab? Has the concrete been poured yet? Can you lower the flange before the 'crete goes in or bust up the floor around the flange, lower it and pour a new section?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'm confused.
Is it ½" to the top of the flange,
or is the bottom of the flange ½"
above the floor? :blink:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1/2" from top of floor to top of flange.

Thanks for all the advice, guys, I think I've got it under control now.

I'll see if the crapper clears the flange and if it does, I'm good. If it doesn't, I'll use some PT plywood underneath, except I'll paint it some brown color so leaks won't be as obvious.

The guy figured out he needs a sink now to wash his hands after using the toilet, so it probably won't be long until a finished floor comes into the picture as well.

·
Pro Plumber
2,779 Posts
1/2" from top of floor to top of flange.

Thanks for all the advice, guys, I think I've got it under control now.

I'll see if the crapper clears the flange and if it does, I'm good. If it doesn't, I'll use some PT plywood underneath, except I'll paint it some brown color so leaks won't be as obvious.

The guy figured out he needs a sink now to wash his hands after using the toilet, so it probably won't be long until a finished floor comes into the picture as well.

It is official, soon to become a hack job, I knew it.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
, so it probably won't be long until a finished floor comes into the picture as well.
So....

He should reset the flange now(to avoid being a hack), then deal with a flange that's too low later... got it:thumbsup:

Reactions: CCCo.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts