Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a kitchen remodel with limited wall space,I want to remove old cast iron radiator and replace either with a toe kick run off abandoned heat exchanger or if possible off domestic hot water heater??
I've also read up some on steam convectors,and will consider one if possible.

At this point I'm not sure of the condition of the abandoned heat exchanger in the boiler,so I'm looking for any possible options that are economically feasible.

The oil fired boiler will probably be replaced within the next couple of years,so this may also be a consideration.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,852 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Kitchen heat? Maybe install one of those wall heaters for an as needed basis? Kitchens usually don't require too much heat (depending on the lay out).

You indicated the boiler may be replaced in the future, with a central air system? or going to stick with hydronic?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From that link:

Operation from steam boiler water is entirely possible as long as supply and return connection is installed below
level of water line on a steam boiler.
I'll have to check if this is possible on this unit.I talked to the guy that serviced this unit and he suggested using the heat exchanger,but I'm not sure of its condition.
Trying to get all options together before I contact HO.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kitchen heat? Maybe install one of those wall heaters for an as needed basis? Kitchens usually don't require too much heat (depending on the lay out).

You indicated the boiler may be replaced in the future, with a central air system? or going to stick with hydronic?
Their going with the steam again because of costs and accessibility issues.

Kitchen layout is going to be open to dining area that has one radiator,but this house needs to be insulated.That may not be in the near future so I want to get as comfortable as possible for them now.Kitchen will be gutted and insulated,but am limited to a small interior section of interior wall space for heater.
I'll dig up a layout.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,852 Posts
Put a radiator in a cabinet. Put a grate on the bottom and some hidden holes on the top and place a fan in there. It'll act just like a toe kick heater, will operate on the steam and you can put half shelves in there for storage.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,852 Posts
You could probably use a audio equipment cooling fan which will be very quiet and will come on and off with the heat.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put a radiator in a cabinet. Put a grate on the bottom and some hidden holes on the top and place a fan in there. It'll act just like a toe kick heater, will operate on the steam and you can put half shelves in there for storage.
Guess it would make a good food warmer!!:jester:

·
Registered
333 Posts
This scenario is common with my remodels. Ripping the room out and doing a complete transformation sometimes eliminates existing walls with baseboard/radiators/vents.

My approach as with any remodel is first addressing heat loss. Not knowing your clients budget, but I'll always sell as much insulation I can for the exterior walls and ceilings. This is by far the best way to make up for any loss of heating in the existing room. Closed cell is my first choice and the price will long be forgotten after the project is completed. Windows will also be replaced with high performance.

I know this doesn't directly address your question on what to do for heat, but it will reduce your need for it.

Some of the questions I always ask my clients is: How comfortable are you in this room on the coldest days, the hottest days. Answers to those questions can give you a sense of what's going on in that room and what you need to improve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts