Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by Pipe.
It'll be cool to see what CVX-78 finally looks like when Big E gets put to pasture. My uncle is retired Westinghouse and still keeps up with most of his old buddies that are spread around the defense industry. He says they're are some pretty wild things in store for the next generation carriers. Big power plants will support weapons systems with extreme electricital demands (any guesses where we're going with that?) and above water profiles will be drastically different.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rich, I have seen many of the new designs, even suggested a few ideas myself such as why do launch and recovery have to occur on the same deck? Recovery has to take place on an open deck, but why launch?
The new ships will definitely sport new stealth contours and CIWS.
Ever notice that when you don't hear anything that something is going on? What ever happened to LASER's and particle beams as defensive weapons? Haven't heard anything about them for years. ?????
Star Wars?????

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Thanks for the new thread. I don't wonder much about the 'star wars' stuff. When you read how design teams are looking at revolutionizing power plants and distribution buses in ships and aircraft I think it's pretty clear what's going on there. You're point about launch and recovery is a good one too. Keep your eyes open for carriers that cruise with most of the ship below the waterline and 'surface' only for combat operations. Wild stuff.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pipe, no one thought much about the Nighthawk either.
Anybody know about project Aurora? Another one that disappeared.
Anyone know what replaced the Blackhawk? Intel says that we need something in that capacity, what replaced it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts