Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a little road trip today to Toledo, Ohio for a hunting trip.

What was I hunting? Well, old cast iron wood working machinery.

I bought an Oliver 144-8D, 8" jointer and much to my surprise, as I thought it was already sold, a 18" Delta Wedge bed planer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,084 Posts
Hey Warner, Nice score.:thumbsup:
You gonna open a cabinet shop?:whistling

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Warner, Nice score.:thumbsup:
You gonna open a cabinet shop?:whistling
Interior doors are a first priority, that is what I really want to be able to make. Looking at also being able to mill custom reclaimed wood flooring as well. Whatever else happens, happens.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
24,084 Posts
What type of doors & why the interest?
Just curious cuz that's something I have an interest in.

Now the flooring part is gonna be way cool.

·
Contractor
7,058 Posts
Nice purchases.

You certainly strapped them to the trailer well. :thumbsup:

I'm working a project that is having distressed, reclaimed oak flooring installed. Looks like old barn siding run through a planner with a tongue and groove applied to the edges.

Looks pretty cool for flooring, I'd imagine somewhere along the reclamation line, some guy with a planner made some nice coins.

FYI, I just saw a few pieces similar on my local Craigslist, looked fairly cheap too.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
My millshop is always getting people coming in asking for solid interior doors.

There is work available and I want it.
Nice!:thumbsup:

I don't always pay attention...:rolleyes:...are you working out of your garage or do you have shop space now? I know you've been vigorously buying shop tools.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
That looked good going down the road.:thumbsup: Nice new straps and all too.:thumbsup:

How did you get that planer off the trailer?

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice purchases.

You certainly strapped them to the trailer well. :thumbsup:

I'm working a project that is having distressed, reclaimed oak flooring installed. Looks like old barn siding run through a planner with a tongue and groove applied to the edges.

Looks pretty cool for flooring, I'd imagine somewhere along the reclamation line, some guy with a planner made some nice coins.

FYI, I just saw a few pieces similar on my local Craigslist, looked fairly cheap too.
Thanks, I tried to get them strapped and loaded well. I also used grk's to screw them down to the trailer.

I think I did well on them.

Not to mention that new RO90.

I saw you on FOG!
I got that a few weeks before christmas.

Nice!:thumbsup:

I don't always pay attention...:rolleyes:...are you working out of your garage or do you have shop space now? I know you've been vigorously buying shop tools.
I invited all my buddy's to come over and help clean my garage, they can have their pick of what I am tossing. I am now trying to reclaim as much floor space as possible in my garage. It is 1425 sq/ft so I have the room for now.

I want to be making real money with them before I look for a retail/commercial building.

That looked good going down the road.:thumbsup: Nice new straps and all too.:thumbsup:

How did you get that planer off the trailer?
You know, I had to stop and walk back a bit and take a look at it.:laughing:

All new straps, I knew this move was serious.

For the planer, I cleaned up a big spot in the garage, backed the trailer in and left it and the jointer sit.:laughing:

I am going to drive my buddy's forklift down the street and do it that way.

That damn thing is heavy.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,422 Posts
Nice score Darcy. When is the RPC coming?

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice score Darcy. When is the RPC coming?
Soon, sooner then later.

I need to clean these up a little, go over all the maintenance points, lube, oil and grease where needed.

He gave me a knife setting jig too but, we let it laying on a table.

He is mailing it too me. I got extra knives for both machines and I need to take them to my sharpener.

Oh, I got to get them off the damn trailer.:laughing:

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
That wedge bed planer was a nice bonus.... I am jealous

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
<- I think these guys do a good job of what I think....

That is OUTSTANDING Darce :thumbup: especially the Oliver, with the manual :w00t:- what can I say... I am a little biased...:laughing: you officially "suck" :laughing: I was just kidding when I said to strap on a gun and make it visable... appearently.... it worked....:laughing::jester:

You & I are proof that now is the best time to grab these machines...it's insane how low they are going for... the down in the economy has a lot to do with that ;as you know... thats for sure...it really is unfortunately for them, sad...honestly- but it is what it is...

all I can say to you Darce is.... the dude abides....:notworthy

B,:thumbup:

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Oliver is off the trailer.

I took it apart so it was easy to lift off the parts with the help of my friend, yes I have a couple friends.

Cleaned all the caked saw dust off it, put paraffin wax on the ways and got her all back together.

Just need to get one of the knife sets sharpened and it is ready to make some saw dust.

1 - 20 of 384 Posts