Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up early to be the first in the yard to get a whole gang of 2x6 to frame out a deck.

Picked up a nice hot cup of coffee which I'm sure would have been delicious since it was only in the mid 60's this morning.
Before I even got a sip my fan belt snapped and wrapped around the fan itself, in the instant panic of pulling off to the side I squeezed the lid off the coffee which went everywhere.

I knew the fan belt was going to go so I had purchased a new one. Unfortunately I left it in my apartment. Walked a mile home, then a mile back. Changed the belt.

Went to the yard to buy my lumber. Guy said, "Before you pay for them, come take a look at them."
Whatever yard guy forked them into place had put the 20's and 16's on two supports, 4 feet apart, dead center, in the sun. I can usually make the best of a bad situation, but that stack of propellers was beyond useless.

Now I'm home and cranky.

Somebody come over and build this stupid deck for me. I'm totally over it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Life is just one massive disappointment after another.

·
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should have seen these boards man. There was a 4x4 there that was literally the worst I've ever seen. Could have framed an arched opening out of two of them.

All in all today wasn't that bad. I've got my health, good friends, a working vehicle, and a job to go to tomorrow. I'll be damned if I didn't REALLY need today to go my way though. So much for that deadline. Ah well.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Today i just woke up in a bad mood... but wait it gets better.
Go to turn into the coffee shop like i do all the time.. bump bump bump... i ****ing must have not even turned into the driveway.. i drove over a huge traffic island and looked like a complete ****ing moron.. Luckily i didn't do any damage, i just turned around and went home and stayed mad. :censored: It was nuts, i just figured i was ****ed so i better not go work.

·
Super Moderator
28,831 Posts
Today i just woke up in a bad mood... but wait it gets better.
Go to turn into the coffee shop like i do all the time.. bump bump bump... i ****ing must have not even turned into the driveway.. i drove over a huge traffic island and looked like a complete ****ing moron.. Luckily i didn't do any damage, i just turned around and went home and stayed mad. :censored: It was nuts, i just figured i was ****ed so i better not go work.
You need a girlfriend, hoss.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,886 Posts
Got up early to be the first in the yard to get a whole gang of 2x6 to frame out a deck.

Picked up a nice hot cup of coffee which I'm sure would have been delicious since it was only in the mid 60's this morning.
Before I even got a sip my fan belt snapped and wrapped around the fan itself, in the instant panic of pulling off to the side I squeezed the lid off the coffee which went everywhere.

I knew the fan belt was going to go so I had purchased a new one. Unfortunately I left it in my apartment. Walked a mile home, then a mile back. Changed the belt.

Went to the yard to buy my lumber. Guy said, "Before you pay for them, come take a look at them."
Whatever yard guy forked them into place had put the 20's and 16's on two supports, 4 feet apart, dead center, in the sun. I can usually make the best of a bad situation, but that stack of propellers was beyond useless.

Now I'm home and cranky.

Somebody come over and build this stupid deck for me. I'm totally over it.
Is the lumber there? I need to meet this former helper of yours and a deck job should cover the gas! Lol

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Today went perfectly. I got more done than I expected. The design is better than I expected. The HO finally brought in a keg so I could hook up the kegerator that I installed in his bar.

A great day.

Oh, I'm over schedule so I lost about $400 in income today. I'll take your coffee and fanbelt.

·
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be quite honest, I love doing auto repair. I also love a good excuse to "have to" do auto repair.

A broken serpentine belt was exactly what my week needed.

A&E, come and get it. Boards are here and begging to be installed. I'm one man up against 3 jobs in the next two weeks. I have no idea how I'm going to finish all of this. I would be delighted if you drove out here and did it for me. Cash money!

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I was workin on the curved bar the other day. Nothing was going right. The cabinets on the backside of the bar wouldn't fit to my template. I was in an absolutely pissy mood & had zero patience for problem solving. In my younger years, I would have battled through it & end up screwing something up.

Went back to the bar yesterday, rested, with fresh eyes. Went as smooth as butter. The problems I couldn't see the other day, were quite obvious & a 2 minute fix. Made huge progress in the 4 hours I had to work on it.

Moral of the story, some days, it's just better to walk away & come back. Shame it took me over a decade to learn this lesson. :)

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I always think of a quote from shakespear, "There is neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so." Life is all about attitude.

I read a quote from someone on here the other day that I thought was very true. Things going wrong happen to all of us, the difference with the successful and not is how those things going wrong are handled.

Hang in there boss. :thumbup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was workin on the curved bar the other day. Nothing was going right. The cabinets on the backside of the bar wouldn't fit to my template. I was in an absolutely pissy mood & had zero patience for problem solving. In my younger years, I would have battled through it & end up screwing something up.

Went back to the bar yesterday, rested, with fresh eyes. Went as smooth as butter. The problems I couldn't see the other day, were quite obvious & a 2 minute fix. Made huge progress in the 4 hours I had to work on it.

Moral of the story, some days, it's just better to walk away & come back. Shame it took me over a decade to learn this lesson. :)

I agree. I use those moments as one my "good stopping points".

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Ya I learned that a long time ago, nowadays I find myself telling someone else to take a break or let it go we'll take care of it tomorrow. I purposely put off phases of a job if I can just because I anticipate issues. I'll wait till I have a full day to deal with it.

If you don't do that you'll find yourself wasting too much time, getting frustrated and screwing it up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts