Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good solution to stop knots from bleeding thro?
Besides Shellac,Kilz or aluminum paint (because they just dont work) :rolleyes:
Subject: Interior preprime trim with 2 coats of white semigloss
Thanks your help is appreciated

·
Registered
106 Posts
Plz be a little more specific.
What are your painting?
Is it wood or something else?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Prowallguy,

I just finished painting some cedar white, using Olympic exterior after a coat of their "grabber" primer, looks good so far just a few places where tannin came through, are the knots going to show through months from now or should it stay as it looks?

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I'm not familiar with their 'grabber' primer, but I would assume if the knots are already bleeding through, they will continue to do so.
Trust me, if it is already bleeding through it will only get worse, even a year from now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Okay, so now I assume its wood being painted..
I only wondered cause sherri 31 mentioned aluminum paint.

Sherri, you mentioned kilz, and stated that it didn't work.
Did you try the oil based kilz or water based. Quite a difference.

But really, the best way to avoid protruding knots is to get rid of them.
If you use a carpenter's half circle wood chissle, work the knot out, fill with exterior wood putty, sand when dry, then oil prime, that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi..sorry about that, yes it is wood trim, and i cannot remember if the kiltz was oil or water based, i just know it was a spray can..haa haa what u did say about the cutting them out is really the best thing to do but to me they are not THAT noticable enough to go that route......Thanx

·
Registered
106 Posts
BTW
The spray can of Kilz is oil base, but not really. Its great to use when time is important, but doesn't have the potency of Kilz oil base from the can.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Prowallguy - the knots aren't showing through just a little tanin stain here and there. My plan originally was to use Kilz latex primer then the Olympic latex, but I was talked out of it by the paint store owner. I might get away with it this time, but I'm going the Kilz route next time.

By the way I was under the impression never to use a oil based primer under a latex finish paint, what about that in your experience?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
There is no conflict with oil primers and latex finish products. In fact, I usually prefer the penetrating capabilities of an oil for all primers. Word has it that new VOC laws are coming down the pipe in Jan. 2005, rendering all oils unusable. But in any case, yes, latex can be applied over oil, but only if its a primer. Don't put latex over an oil finish coat, it won't adhere.

And I wouldn't recommend Kilz for knots, BIN is the sh*t when it comes to knots, being shellac based, it is much more effective.

And I agree with Chris, a little tanin now, means its bleeding, and will only get worse. Seal it now, or figure to seal it later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts