Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be renovating an old two story house in Houston Texas built around 1910.The house is on pads and blocks. The house has shiplap on the inside only. The old siding is nailed to the studs. No water barrier between the siding and the studs. The studs are 2x4.To properly insulate the house I am thinking about removing the siding and blowing closed cell insulation against the shiplap which will leave a gap between the insulation and the siding. Then i am thinking of sheathing the entire house with osb along with tyvec and cement boards for siding. Does anyone know if the added strength to the walls will affect the house in a negative way.Houses here in Houston are affected by the moisture content in the soil.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
We do it here all the time on older homes, spray foam would be the best insulation option for what your doing. Have you rewired the home yet? Now would be a good time before you insulate it. Trying to fish circuits through that foam can be absolute hell!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
jlc had a feature article on a project like this in one of the recent issues. it was in california and they took off the siding, worked on the mechanicals, sprayed foam on all penetrations, sheathed with osb, blew in cellulose, rigid foam on top of that and then tyvek and siding.
you might try finding that article.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts