Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This house has not been painted since the depression era. It was built from old growth cedar in 1895. Some people think it is in "ill repair," but it is actually solid as a rock. What is the best approach to make the exterior look as good as it is structurally solid. This is two blocks from the Pacific Ocean, so painting is probably not a good idea. Semi-Transparent Stain? Wood Cleaner/Brightener/Sealer? What will make it look distinctive without ruining the old growth character of this historical building?

Attachments

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
This house has not been painted since the depression era. It was built from old growth cedar in 1895. Some people think it is in "ill repair," but it is actually solid as a rock. What is the best approach to make the exterior look as good as it is structurally solid. This is two blocks from the Pacific Ocean, so painting is probably not a good idea. Semi-Transparent Stain? Wood Cleaner/Brightener/Sealer? What will make it look distinctive without ruining the old growth character of this historical building?
If you don't think paint will hold up there is no way a stain would. I would think solid color stain after brightener.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Are there any house paints specifically made to deal with salinity(Obviously marine grade paint would be)? I wonder if it's the salt that's kept all that wood in shape to begin with?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
i dont have an answer for you
but it encouraging to see someone who can
respect the beauty in the old materials used
and not rush out and vinyl side that house:thumbup:

·
Registered
468 Posts
isnt that the Munsters house? Really though a light power wash to rinse the surface. Then a good pump sprayer filled with oxalic acid (wood brightener) probably going to take a few applications. when its clean I would put solid color stain on it. If you dont want a painted look like solid stain then it would look good with Cabots austrailan timber oil, mahogany flame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming!

Here are a couple more pictures that are closer. Should have uploaded these in the first place. I love the comment about the munsters! I sort of think it looks like a haunted house too. Once the exterior is spruced up and the gardens are done, it will be awesome though. You'll see...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
why not look at other houses in the area and ask them what theyve done? if their house is in great condition.... ask them the lessons they've learned and the procedures they use...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts