Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my phone rings at 11:35am today (we have been starting work at 9am on this particular job). I see that it is my no-show employee so I let it go to voicemail.

Here is a direct transcription:

"Yeah, hi, uhmm, yea, sorry about this.....(awkward silence). So anyways, yea, I overslept today and I guess my alarm didn't go off or something. So I am just getting up now...do you want me to come into work....? Give me a call and let me know what you want to do. Later."

So, this employee has been with me just under 3 months, never late, fairly good attitude, no real issues except for past Friday when said employee left a royal mess of the h/o's bedrooms (we were doing door and trim replacements). Did not vaccuum, sweep, nothing - had to leave early that day (for unknown reason), my fault assuming that they cleaned up.

Anyways, given all that, if it was your employee, what would you do? I know which way I am leaning, but would like to hear input....

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Mark,
My first impression when reading your post is that the guy has some type of alcohol/drug problem. My second thought is that maybe he has some personal problems which are keeping him up at night and consuming him.
My advice-sit him down and ask him.
Ron

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so far guys, I did forget to add that the employee never showed up at all today, and I never returned the message - as I was hoping they had enough sense to show up.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Did you return his call? If he didn't hear from you he might be assuming he has already lost his job.:sad:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Thanks so far guys, I did forget to add that the employee never showed up at all today, and I never returned the message - as I was hoping they had enough sense to show up.
Sounds like he has a problem A little job counciling is in order. Then depending on his reaction.....:eek:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you return his call? If he didn't hear from you he might be assuming he has already lost his job.:sad:
I didn't return the call because 1) I assumed if you wanted a job bad enough you would have showed up anyway, and don't need me telling you that you need to be there and 2) I was so frustrated with that, and trying to wrap up this job, that I didn't want my temper to get the best of me on the phone.

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
I am guessing that he knew you would be hot, and he didn't wanna face up to you then. Some guys are a little thin skinned and don't want to walk into an altercation like that. Thats why he called and asked. I had a guy who started missing work due to addiction. He would miss a day about every two weeks, and always had some hair brain excuse. Finally, he missed the wrong day. We were really short handed, and I was really steamed. He woulda been fired if he had shown up. As it turns out, he fired himself. Only time thats ever happened.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
I didn't return the call because 1) I assumed if you wanted a job bad enough you would have showed up anyway, and don't need me telling you that you need to be there and 2) I was so frustrated with that, and trying to wrap up this job, that I didn't want my temper to get the best of me on the phone.
I would let him sweat it out a little too. However, he could be going through some major crap too.

If his past performance has been acceptable, I would call him up tomorrow and ask him to sit down with you.

Give him the Mark Cooke charm:jester:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, depending on how the talk goes tomorrow (if employee shows up), what is everyone's thoughts on sending him home for a day or two?

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
So, depending on how the talk goes tomorrow (if employee shows up), what is everyone's thoughts on sending him home for a day or two?

I have done that a few times too. One guy showed up late over and over due to whatever so I sent him home for the day one time. He came in and thanked me the day he returned. Said he was able to get a lot of stuff done that had been nagging him for a while. I probably shoulda sent him home again. This was suppose to be PUNISHMENT!!

Play it by ear. Give him a chance to explain why it happened. Should be able to come up with something good, he's had all day to think of it.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,288 Posts
I didn't return the call because 1) I assumed if you wanted a job bad enough you would have showed up anyway, and don't need me telling you that you need to be there
We have no way of knowing all the variables. For instance, if the job was wrapping up today, it would be understandable that he'd be hesitant to come in for the last half-day if he might not be needed. Or maybe you're an ogerish martinet, and he was waiting to hear "frog" before he jumped. :laughing:

But I agree with the other guys who say that if he's been good up until now, this could just be some personal crisis he's going through and not something you should expect to recur on a regular basis. Sounds like it's worth a sit-down to hear him out before going off half-cocked and dumping a decent and at least partially trained employee.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my case, at one point, I'd probably let him screw up for weeks, pay a fortune to employ him and then get so disgusted I'd fire him.

However... after years of employees, I think the voice of reason is a good one.

He's been good so far, and you've invested three weeks in this guy - not too long, but 3 weeks is 3 weeks.

I vote for a sit down to see what's up.

I wouldn't let him stew, by not returning calls. That just causes you stress too. Remember it's not a contest, the deal is if you are employing him, and he decides to have a battle of wills, you have the ability to make him magically disappear!

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
In my case, at one point, I'd probably let him screw up for weeks, pay a fortune to employ him and then get so disgusted I'd fire him.

However... after years of employees, I think the voice of reason is a good one.

He's been good so far, and you've invested three weeks in this guy - not too long, but 3 weeks is 3 weeks.

I vote for a sit down to see what's up.

I wouldn't let him stew, by not returning calls. That just causes you stress too. Remember it's not a contest, the deal is if you are employing him, and he decides to have a battle of wills, you have the ability to make him magically disappear!
Good point about causing stress on both sides. (It was 3 months, not weeks though just to clarify)

Mark, maybe you should call him up now for the purpose of "arranging the meeting". You will probably get the gyst of the problem right away while talking to him.

Let us know how this goes!

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input so far, guys.

I'm off to bed, been a long day. Will see what tomorrow brings and will update this thread tomorrow night sometime.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Glad I never worked for any of you. Great employee until now? Sudden change? Seems this is the time for a real leader/boss to take charge of the situation and get answers. No reason to be a penis about it (happy thoughts).:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts