Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first day here.
My practice has been limited to the installation of voice and data as part of retail and office relocations. Over the past few years, this has been expanded to networked security cameras as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome Jerrard !!

Have you done any fiber installation? If so have you been able to justify the cost of the tools and test equipment?

Just curious as have heard lots of the smaller guys mention that they are at a huge disadvantage against larger companies with the capital for fiber tools test equipment, and certifications.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marco:
Back in 1993 I bought a bunch of equipment for fiber installations. Big termination kit, scope, testers, and a 1000' conduit rodder. I did a bunch of building to building runs for a local hospital complex, and some commercial installations. My last was a marina complex in 1999. All of the tools were stolen from a storage locker in 2008. Except for that huge rodder. I still have that.

I guess I made some money from it, but my reason for doing it was to keep my competition out of the hospital complex. That worked until they went in-house.

However, a lot of the work involved in these jobs is intense physical labor. Lifting, pulling, and digging. You are never more than a shovel-full away from a back injury. Tell everyone to be careful what they wish for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thats right about the digging part. Since most of these fiber runs are for the backbone they are doing that. Are most of these outfits just specializing in the fiber run business (doing the conduit, or digging, and then polishing) ? These must be some pretty large installation companies to afford all of that gear also?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just not of much use for current information, like I said, the last fiber installation that I did was 10 years ago.
Now, if someone wants a 3/8" conduit rodder, 1,000 ft, with brass roller tip, (for 2-4" condut) I'll be glad to e-mail you pictures. This thing is about the size and shape of a large spare tire from a truck. I'm not sure what it weighs (100lbs?). It is on wheels, but I have loaded it into trucks. In fact, it is in the back of mine right now. The terms are dead presidents and show up with a truck. I'm not interested in a cashiers check from the recently disposed Minister of Underground Cable installation in Nigeria. We all know him by now.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have a roll sitting in storage, its been sitting there for 8 years if I recall correctly, never ran a foot.

I never invested in the tools, Canada is a little behind the times and in most businesses and residences we still run copper. I got a call a few years ago from a guy that ran fiber in his house and needed someone to terminate it....I passed.:whistling

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inner10, I feel your pain. And passing on that chore is a wise choice. You know that whatever he has in mind isn't going to work on the first try, and maybe never. And you also know who he is going to blame for his woes. It's always the cable guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, there I go. Can you imagine that, they took my fiber kit, a bunch of other full tool boxes, and didn't take the big one pictured in the upper right. No accounting for taste.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I don't know if I did this attachment thing right or not, but I am trying to upload a pic of the 1000' rodder...
You can always check the "Preview Post" to see if an attachement or image will show up. If not, you can edit your post until it does.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I could use that fish about twice a year max, probably not worth the space in the van. For now I gang together a few tape reels and then send one in the other end to hook it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts