Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question, if you didn't frame houses for a living would you still own a titanium hammer or wood you go with steel

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Joemack1 said:
I had a question, if you didn't frame houses for a living would you still own a titanium hammer or wood you go with steel
I don't frame professionally, I own two titanium hammers 14oz curved hickory handle and a 15oz ti-bone.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
THe heads are huge don't they get in the way and make it hard to nail
:no: nail what?

Honestly who really nails anything with a hammer?

This is all I use a hammer for, and I got the tibone because it's light. Temporary stuff that you don't want to sink. Roof jacks, pump polls. Some siding. Smashing wood into places. Grabbing wood with the claw, demo

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Joemack1 said:
THe heads are huge don't they get in the way and make it hard to nail
haven't really had a problem with it, I enjoy hand driving nails occasionally. I uses the 14 for trim and finish work, 15 for framing and pretty much what I carry daily. I have hip problems so any weigh I can drop off my bags I'll take it.

·
We Put Poles In Holes
206 Posts
I use nothing but a Dalluge 16 oz titanium with hickory handle. Will not use steel handles because of the vibration through the handle. We hand nail all our purlins to the trusses on post frame buildings.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we do every part of construction besides the major framing jobs and we hand nail almost everything the owner thinks you get better quality. I don't agree but he signs my check. just was curious how titanium would hold up

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
if you didn't frame houses for a living would you still own a titanium hammer or wood you go with steel
Sort of a tough question. I've done a lot of framing, but am not a framer and don't do it for a living. But when I'm framing (new construction), I use a stiletto framing hammer. With framing hammers, length is their biggest asset, and their biggest limiter for other stuff.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Joemack1 said:
we do every part of construction besides the major framing jobs and we hand nail almost everything the owner thinks you get better quality. I don't agree but he signs my check. just was curious how titanium would hold up
feels good on the elbow especially when you hand nail everything.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
:no: nail what?

Honestly who really nails anything with a hammer?

This is all I use a hammer for, and I got the tibone because it's light. Temporary stuff that you don't want to sink. Roof jacks, pump polls. Some siding. Smashing wood into places. Grabbing wood with the claw, demo
I do a lot of hand nailing. Not just for temporary stuff.

An air nail doesn't have the draw power that a hand spike does. When sheeting a roof, we will lay and nail off the first row, then take it from there to the peak tacking each sheet on each roof member by hand. Less stuff in the way to trip on when carrying sheets up the roof.

To answer the OP. I may have a titanium hammer if I didn't frame full time. But I certainly wouldn't have 2... :whistling

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
IMO, the belt is the only place for a Titanium hammer. :whistling

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
so if you didn't frame for a living what hammer would you carry
I actually stopped framing full time years ago. Now I can find myself doing anything from framing, siding, kitchens, trimwork, decks... I carry one of these every day. I picked it up on a special for $2.99. I broke the first one pulling a gun spike out of a floor joist. Good thing it's got a lifetime warranty.:thumbup:

If I need something bigger, I have about 20 others to choose from. None of them are Titanium....and none of them were over $40.
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-oz-rip-hammer-with-fiberglass-handle-69005-8578.html

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
so if you didn't frame for a living what hammer would you carry
Depends what I am doing.

Estwing 20, smooth face would probably be my starting point. As those are widely available here. As far as hammers go, we are pretty much limited to Estwing, Stanley/Bostitch or Stiletto here. Or whatever you can get from the budget tool stores.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Depends what I am doing.

Estwing 20, smooth face would probably be my starting point. As those are widely available here. As far as hammers go, we are pretty much limited to Estwing, Stanley/Bostitch or Stiletto here. Or whatever you can get from the budget tool stores.
I use a 20oz eastwing smooth face from time to time

·
Registered
153 Posts
anyone have any reviews on douglas hammers
Very nice hammers if you can find them. Ebay is about the only place I see them now (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Douglas-Fin...270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd50a98e6). My guess is that the company is just selling them there. They make some other versions of that one for trim and framing. They have also gone up in price since I bought mine.

Dalluge makes a titanium version of the Douglass ( http://www.amazon.com/Dalluge-7180-...qid=1381083696&sr=8-1&keywords=dalluge+hammer). If I was going to buy a titantium, that is the one I would get.

To answer your question, yes I would use a titanium hammer if I wasn't a framer. In not a framer. I currently have a Vaughn Titanium that I use for everything except for interior trim.

·
Registered
87 Posts
15oz tibone curved handle to frame, 10oz wood handle stiletto to trim, love that little guy

1 - 20 of 129 Posts