Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure I'm gonna ruffle some feathers here but I'm having a hard time understanding why some people will purchase a $200 plus hammer and then suggest using another hammer for demo work, pounding metal stakes/forms, coaxing lumber into place, or using a cats paw, etc. all to prevent damage or breakage to their hammer. And removeable heads and/or the potential for loose parts on a hammer? I'm sure I don't use a hammer as much as some of you these days but having experimented with some of the titanium models in the past I can't quite feel the difference other than the hammer is lighter than the other models I've used. I've even went to the extreme of pounding (wasting) nails into lumber side by side for comparison purposes to the point that my family thought I had lost it. Even my wife suggested buying a nailgun instead of a $200 hammer. I've always thought that a man does everything with his one and only favorite hammer. Before you ask, I'm in my mid forty's and my own father tells me the guys who are actually using their tools for there intended purpose are the ones in the field using them and not polishing them while talking about them over that d*** computer. :eek: I guess those lighter hammers are more pleasureable to carry around though, they don't seem to pull my tool belt down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know I'll probably catch a bunch of :censored:

I'm all about the "pride in ownership" thing but I can't quite grasp this whole titanium hammer thing. I would feel pretty silly if someone on the job site grabbed my hammer or asked me to do something with my hammer and I had to say, not with this one, let me get another one. I'm guilty of wanting the most for my money and understand you get what you pay for too but I just can't understand not using a hammer for its intended purpose and having to worry about "breaking it". I'm sure someone will try to explain the whole carpal tunnel elbow thing to me but .....

·
Registered
112 Posts
It all boils down to why do some people buy a Cadillac when a Chevy cobalt does all the same things at a fraction of the cost.. I own a tibone and I love it.. I wouldn't think twice about buying another if I ever needed to.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

I'm all about the "pride in ownership" thing but I can't quite grasp this whole titanium hammer thing. I would feel pretty silly if someone on the job site grabbed my hammer or asked me to do something with my hammer and I had to say, not with this one, let me get another one. I'm sure someone will try to explain the whole carpal tunnel elbow thing to me but .....
Yes,,,, I know what you mean....

I don't want to seem silly either.... if someone asks me to tack in some trim/crown, I just grab my 32 Vaughn Cali framer waffle face and tack it in.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I used to use a craftsman 23oz cali framer but i had a problem with my shoulder and the price was right( used from my buddy for $75). I like the side puller. AND i use mine for EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yes,,,, I know what you mean....

I don't want to seem silly either.... if someone asks me to tack in some trim/crown, I just grab my 32 Vaughn Cali framer waffle face and tack it in.
Honestly guys, I was being sarcastic. Let a man use the tool he likes.

We all have our preferences, that's probably why there are 25/50 different makers of hammers.

Yes... sometimes you change blades in a saw, sometimes you grab a slip joint or a crescent.... what is so confusing about using a Stilletto or a HF hammer.

(My preference really does not matter.)

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
I bought one for the sake of adding it to my hammer collection. No good reason, just because.

I've seen a decent amount of guys on here say they switched to them because of shoulder problems.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
that's like comparing a nail gun to a hammer. not a hammer to a hammer. a $200 one does the same exact thing as a $5 one. not any better or faster.
Ever read a product review in a magazine where the author didn't use the product? Probably not because how could they have a clue what they're talking about without actually using the item...

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,589 Posts
I'm sure I'm gonna ruffle some feathers here but I'm having a hard time understanding why some people will purchase a $200 plus hammer and then suggest using another hammer for demo work, pounding metal stakes/forms, coaxing lumber into place, or using a cats paw, etc. all to prevent damage or breakage to their hammer. And removeable heads and/or the potential for loose parts on a hammer? I'm sure I don't use a hammer as much as some of you these days but having experimented with some of the titanium models in the past I can't quite feel the difference other than the hammer is lighter than the other models I've used. I've even went to the extreme of pounding (wasting) nails into lumber side by side for comparison purposes to the point that my family thought I had lost it. Even my wife suggested buying a nailgun instead of a $200 hammer. I've always thought that a man does everything with his one and only favorite hammer. Before you ask, I'm in my mid forty's and my own father tells me the guys who are actually using their tools for there intended purpose are the ones in the field using them and not polishing them while talking about them over that d*** computer. :eek: I guess those lighter hammers are more pleasureable to carry around though, they don't seem to pull my tool belt down.

I'm all about the "pride in ownership" thing but I can't quite grasp this whole titanium hammer thing. I would feel pretty silly if someone on the job site grabbed my hammer or asked me to do something with my hammer and I had to say, not with this one, let me get another one. I'm guilty of wanting the most for my money and understand you get what you pay for too but I just can't understand not using a hammer for its intended purpose and having to worry about "breaking it". I'm sure someone will try to explain the whole carpal tunnel elbow thing to me but .....
I own a couple of those hammers (and probably a few other tools you or your dad couldn’t justify the price of). I use them for everything and don’t care if I break the handle, head, whatever – they’re replaceable. But then, I make a chit load of money :whistling

I’m certain there are some guys that can’t understand why you pay for a hammer at all… rocks and sticks are free!

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
except I've used one.......
For an extended period of time? Try one for a month, then go back to your cheap one for a day... you'll go back to the titanium.

I own 3 titanium hammers, 1 stays in the bags in the work trailer, 1 in the bags that stay in my truck and 1 at home because I wouldn't think about going back. Oh forgot to mention that I own 3 titanium cats paws for the same reason.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts