Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us are 1 - 2 man operations. Some are GC's that use the same Subs for every job, some of us are larger companies with employees.

Tis the season; What do you do, to show your appreciation to your help, at this time of the year?

We do a company dinner. Workers and certain subs are invited. We reserve a room in a local restaurant. Booze is not included (for multiple reasons, including liability). We hand out sealed envelopes with "Christmas/year-end" bonuses.

What do you do, to show appreciation, at this time of the year to those that work directly for you, or for your company?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Usualy go to a nice dinner and give them a good old company coat

·
Registered
688 Posts
Booze is not included (for multiple reasons, including liability).
This seemed a good place to mention Party Alcohol Liability insurance. Some of you might not know that this is available to purchase on a per-event basis.

Examples: You have a company party where alcohol is served and a guest drinks too much, leaves the party and then has a car accident where other people are injured or killed. Even that party guest might end up suing you because your bartender didn't cut him off. Or the drunk guest trashes the hall and they hold you responsible for the damage because it happened during your event.

Even if your commercial general liability insurance would cover company parties, it would be a good idea to still get a separate PAL policy. That way, if there would be a claim, you don't end up with that potentially huge liability claim on your main liability policy; your claims history would remain untouched, making it easier to get better rates in the coming years.

The cost is only $100-$200 depending on the number of guests and whether you want to buy $1-$2-$5,000,000 limits. You can get them through your broker or buy it yourself on-line. Google "Party Alcohol Liability insurance" or "Event Liability insurance".

As a "holiday gift", our brokerage covers the policy premium for our best clients' company parties, so they don't pay anything for the separate protection.

P.S. - We have one contractor who calls us up and asks for a corporate gift (we usually give a golf shirt or jacket with our logo on it.) They put all those gifts that they get from their various business associates under the tree and then pull names and their employees get to pick a random gift. Guess that's a free way for them give gifts to their workers.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Since when did giving bonuses/presents and other things become expected?

I always thought the reward was having more work next week. I never recieved anything. I show up, do my job, do it right and go home.

Maybe I am just that different.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize that times are tough for many.

The idea is not as much about "having a lil party" - as it is about thanking & commending the help at the end of the year.
No doubt, commendation should be shown all year long.

Such an arrangement may be suitable for some, but unsuitable, unnecessary, & even overkill for others.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Atlantic - Its nothing like that. On days when we cant quite get started as early as we want due to weather, ill buy the guys breakfast and we will talk and talk about whatever.

What I am wondering is since when did it become expected for employees to get thanked for doing their job. I thought their pay was enough of a thanks. I mean, I shouldn't have to congradulate an employee for hitting the nail line when it is their job to do that.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Atlantic - Its nothing like that. On days when we cant quite get started as early as we want due to weather, ill buy the guys breakfast and we will talk and talk about whatever.

What I am wondering is since when did it become expected for employees to get thanked for doing their job. I thought their pay was enough of a thanks. I mean, I shouldn't have to congradulate an employee for hitting the nail line when it is their job to do that.
Many, many years ago, I worked for a short time for a large company. They would do bonuses and end of the year dinners. It created loyalty and pride within their work force.

I never forgot that. It means more to the little guys, than "just a dinner".

We do things all year long for our workers, but the end of the year "thing" = means a lot to them = they've told us.

It's more of an official recognition, to all of them - It's not the same as the "buying coffees, breakfast, or other little incidentals".
It's also at a time, when all can appreciate it more...and many "need" it more.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Since when did giving bonuses/presents and other things become expected?.
As soon as you do it one time.

If you're married I'm going to guess you think you lavish more then enough loving attention on her and she is going to have a very different opinion. ;)

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Lol Mike . . . you may be right. Not married to her YET.

The last time we gave something out last year, the basic reply was "oh cool, we were wondering when we were going to get bonuses this year."

Not a thank you or an hey we appreciate it but instead a why did it take you so long to give us extra money for doing our jobs right even though you hand us a weekly check.

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
I just bought my plumbers a Milwuakee angle drill because theirs broke down.

Gave my electrician an extra 150 bucks on top of his draw.

Bought my carpenters a variety of tools they've been eyeing.

Gave the controller a $300 gift certificate for the mall.

Got my designer a really nice pen because he always uses crappy ones.

Told my partner to kiss my [email protected]@ :laughing:

I personally abhor "dinners/get togethers/events". I like to give something personal, custom tailored to what I think each personal would really like. It really does go a long way in forming loyal relationships with the people who are contributing to your success. I also like to give these out before the holidays so I'm the first one in :thumbsup::laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts