Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Construction
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone do about tires going flat?
Between demos and trips to the dump I think were getting on average about a flat a month.
I'm on a first name basis with the guys at the local tire shop!

Anyone try slime or anything?

We got the guys those magnet rollers and it's definitely helped.

I'm thinking moving forward I'm going to push for buying from shops with road-hazard protection.
In the past we went the Tire Rack route and had a local mobile service mount them.
But we only had a couple vehicles then. Now we got a growing fleet and it's becoming a real pain in my a$$.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Install magnets in front of your tire?

but seriously I know a lot of guys with a big outfit doing roofing perhaps three or four flats a year!

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
Tell your guys to be more carefull.

We don't drag our debris in front of our rigs. Haven't had more than a couple flats in the last 10 years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
If you’re doing roofing and 90% of the flats are coming from roofing nails the guys might be slacking on cleaning up, if it’s a wide variety then you’re probably getting them at the dump!

·
Registered
Construction
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell your guys to be more carefull.

We don't drag our debris in front of our rigs. Haven't had more than a couple flats in the last 10 years.
Yep. We've been working on this, why we got the magnets too.
Generally we position the dump trailer as close to the work as possible.

I was reaching out to see if it's really this common or if it's us.

I want to say this happens more to the guys who go to the transfer station but I'm not positive on that.

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
198 Posts
With frequent trips to the dump, it's sometimes inevitable. I've had the same tire guy for 30 yrs and he about punched me in the neck the one (and only) time I used the liquid tire slime for a flat repair. Fix-a-flat is even worse, as it degrades the finish on your wheels quickly. I use the same things tire guys use; those little rubber strips with the cement. There's a technique to it though. YouTube reveals all.

Automotive lighting Asphalt Bumper Font Triangle

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
All's I know is when I was going to the landfill on a weekly basis, I had a lot more flats. I have a dump trailer and when I'm backing up to tip, the traffic directors were always yelling at me to back up further before I tip.
"No way Dude!" That's where all the pokeys are!"

I do get the road hazard warranty, but it's still a pain in the butt to wait at the store with the normies for tire repair.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Last thing I do when leaving a job site is put a magnet in one hand and a Milwaukee blower in the other and I walk the driveway. I always find more nails no matter how many times the driveway has been swept with a magnet.

My theory is that the blower causes the nail to move which makes me more likely to see it, or maybe it’s that the nails move at a much slower pace than everything else on the driveway. I’m not sure but I kid you not, in 11 years of being on my own, never paid for a single tire.

The amount of roofing nails left inside gutters, between gutters and facia board and crammed down downspouts is significant.

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,284 Posts
Just yesterday pulled a 5/16x1 1/2" hex head bolt out of a trailer tire that had a slow leak.
No friggin idea how that could've got in there but there it was. Hole is to big for a normal tire plug.

Today the guys sent me this pic that tire already had a plug in it, they said it was just sitting in the driveway and the plug blew out.

Guess I'll have a couple tires at the tire shop tomorrow to get patched from the inside...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Construction
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just yesterday pulled a 5/16x1 1/2" hex head bolt out of a trailer tire that had a slow leak.
No friggin idea how that could've got in there but there it was. Hole is to big for a normal tire plug.

Today the guys sent me this pic that tire already had a plug in it, they said it was just sitting in the driveway and the plug blew out.

Guess I'll have a couple tires at the tire shop tomorrow to get patched from the inside...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I'm driving a truck ATM because we're short staffed. Mine looked like that after the three day weekend a few weeks back.
And of course I was already running the spare because the guy who drove the truck before me got a flat and the fixed tire got buried in the shop behind a bunch of trim we were staining.
Fortunately it was just a slow leak and I was able to fill the tire and go.
All's I know is when I was going to the landfill on a weekly basis, I had a lot more flats. I have a dump trailer and when I'm backing up to tip, the traffic directors were always yelling at me to back up further before I tip.
"No way Dude!" That's where all the pokeys are!"

I do get the road hazard warranty, but it's still a pain in the butt to wait at the store with the normies for tire repair.
Usually we just drop off the tire and get it the next day.
The dump is what I figure as I've recently picked up a nail but it's not leaking. I'm not a field guy but I have been helping with dump runs as I'm driving a truck right now.
Also the dump trailer itself is a suspect. Those doors in the back have gaps, I find all sorts of pokeys on the ground behind that thing all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts