Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Not even an impact driver?Do not drive any fasteners with a drill anymore. On a ladder I hate air lines too so Gas nailers there.
Co2 for me I hate the sound of air compressors nails on a chalk board to me. The gas guns are nice in summer but today I was working with the temps in the teens.

IHI I know what brand you are talking about.

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
I've chosen dewalt for convenience sake: radio/charger, jigsaw, flashlights, recip saw, circular saws and right angle drill. the next purchase may be

best part is when I'm down to the last two screws to drive and the battery dies, another tool is nearby:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Like quitting smoking.......It's hard to switch to a new brand!

I've been using all dewalt for many yrs.,batteries out the ass. Chargers never die,I give them away. I have a d/c charger they sell too.

I always write the date I bouhgt them(battery)on the top. This helps me keep track of the ones on thier way out.most of them make it past two yrs.

I watch Craigslist tools for people selling tools like new just for the batteries.......cheap

When someone comes up with a better sawzall I might switch.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looks like most say Dewalt or Makita.
For all the people on here that bash big D it's what I see in almost every picture of trucks on here and local jobs.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,905 Posts
when they poke fun i ask "how much have you spent since i've know ya upgrading all your cordless stuff?:
Ryobi definitely has the price point. Decent enough tools for the money, and overall they hold up pretty well. :thumbsup:

I have a friend who has used them for years, and he has no problem keeping up work-wise with guys using any of the other major brands. But for my own taste, they lack that little extra in terms of ergonomic design. They just aren't as comfortable as other brands. Same goes for much of the DeWalt line.

I use a mix of Bosch and Makita for the most part.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
I wont say the tool brand i've had in all the trucks for the past 10yrs
So is this what the elves look like at your house josh? :laughing:

I've got milwaukee, makita and bosch cordless shiite, and yeah it's a pain in the balls...I wouldn't mind getting a panasonic kit, as I've always heard the tools and batteries were good stuff, just seems odd to have a panasonic drill :blink:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I am getting sick and tired of all the different brands of cordless tools. I have Hitachi, dewalt, milwaukee, and bosch cordless tools. Today was useing a impact driver then died with two screws left. Had a cordless sircular saw there at hand but because it was a different brand had to walk over to the trailer. To get a fresh battery out of the row of different chargers. For some reason this is driving me nuts.
Thinking of buy one or two combo sets of tools. I know one or two things might not be the best but just good in the set. So what are some good sets you guys and gal's have that you like. The dewalt and the bosch sets are my top two right now.

Cole
This is why we only have Dewalt 18vt cordless tools. Dewalt makes the most variety, sells the most, therefore there are plenty around used also.

I wouldn't buy new combo sets. The most economical way to get a big range of tools is to buy them used off of craigslist and buy individual new 'bare' tools. You'll have so many batteries by buying used tools off of craigslist you can then fill in the missing tools you want by buying new 'bare' tools at a deep discount. I've got about 30 batteries now by doing this. You see plenty of used combo tools sets available on craigslist, especially right after Christmas. :sad:

Good job - Sticking with 1 manufacturer is a sign of making a business decision instead of making decisions like a tradesman.

(next step is to make yourself a portable charging station with about 4 dewalt chargers screwed on a board)

·
I like Green things
23,029 Posts
Not even an impact driver?Do not drive any fasteners with a drill anymore. On a ladder I hate air lines too so Gas nailers there.

I have a couple but, have not used them in a long time.

I have all the gas nailers, they serve their purpose.

JF, the panny's are sweet drills. The new lithium cordless drills frome festool are super light, almost creepy light.

I use a lot of GRK screws, alot of the RSS structurals. I have had no issue running those in with my little C-12.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've chosen dewalt for convenience sake: radio/charger, jigsaw, flashlights, recip saw, circular saws and right angle drill. the next purchase may be

best part is when I'm down to the last two screws to drive and the battery dies, another tool is nearby:thumbsup:
I was at the Dewalt repair shop and spotted one of those. It left with me. A nice light, bright but not blinding and not hot when you are in the attic in August. Note the plug in on the side. It did power the milwaukie Saw Z All until I bought a DeWalt cord less. When you close the light, the lens is protected and the cord is out of the way.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
of course I've thought about the festool...:whistling but the next drill purchase will probably be part of a set, drill/impact driver/jigsaw.

Hell the only li-ion drills I currently have are the mini bosch drill and right angle drill...I'm behind the times :laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I use a lot of GRK screws, alot of the RSS structurals. I have had no issue running those in with my little C-12.
If I just did small screws I could see living without the impact, but I have to run alot of quarter four lags and 3/8 concrete anchors. If your little C-12 could run thoes without breaking a sweat I'd buy one tommorow.

The panny drills look pretty swell but they arn't popular around here and I really want to hear some reviews on their service/support and longivity. I believe Hilti uses panny batteries on their lith-ion stuff.

·
I like Green things
23,029 Posts
If I just did small screws I could see living without the impact, but I have to run alot of quarter four lags and 3/8 concrete anchors. If your little C-12 could run thoes without breaking a sweat I'd buy one tommorow.

The panny drills look pretty swell but they arn't popular around here and I really want to hear some reviews on their service/support and longivity. I believe Hilti uses panny batteries on their lith-ion stuff.

The new 15+3 would all you needed from a cordless drill.

I have run in hundreds of the grk rss over 6" in length. C-12 works like a champ. I am also guilty of mixxinf thinset with it as well.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Even of the 15-3 had the power to drive these:

The torque on your arm would be painful, thats the beauty of an impact is the reduced fatigue.

I do want that off-set chuck for screwing in corners...I've rounded many a bit trying to drive things off axis; not to mention putting rub-marks from the chuck.

·
Grampy
173 Posts
Call me brand loyal, but only use Dewalt 18v. It is just easier. It is like mixing wiskey, it will only make you sick.:cry::laughing:

·
Banned
154 Posts
Call me brand loyal, but only use Dewalt 18v. It is just easier. It is like mixing wiskey, it will only make you sick.:cry::laughing:
For drills IMHO there is no equal, dont leave the batteries in the sun and fully discharge/recharge them and theyre pretty much bulletproof.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another Makita vote. Got one of their sets,

I also have a DeWalt cordless finish nailer that is great (no gas, just the battery and it works really well.)

·
Scooter
304 Posts
I'll put in a vote for Dewalt 18v. For a "production environment" I prefer to have tool and battery consistancy.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts