Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting sick and tired of all the different brands of cordless tools. I have Hitachi, dewalt, milwaukee, and bosch cordless tools. Today was useing a impact driver then died with two screws left. Had a cordless sircular saw there at hand but because it was a different brand had to walk over to the trailer. To get a fresh battery out of the row of different chargers. For some reason this is driving me nuts.
Thinking of buy one or two combo sets of tools. I know one or two things might not be the best but just good in the set. So what are some good sets you guys and gal's have that you like. The dewalt and the bosch sets are my top two right now.

Cole

·
Mickey
105 Posts
I have gotten rid of all of my cordless tools that weren't Dewalt 18v for the very same reason. I always have a battery handy that way. It also helps when I'm doing something that takes a lot of battery power, I can have two chargers set up and never run out of a fully charged battery.

Reactions: Osito

·
Registered
129 Posts
ya I cant stand any cordless tool inless its a drill. If i gotta cut 1 thing i just run the generator in the van and cut it.....

Other then that the generator is always on

·
Registered
33 Posts
Other than a cordless drill, I rarely use cordless tools. I do have a Bosch set and if I was to buy a new set it would def be Bosch. My set is an 18 volt. Their warranty is awesome, they just send you a new tool for like 3 years, no questions asked. I burned out the drill from using a 4.25" holesaw through a roof. I also burned out the planer. I don't think the 18v saw has alot of balls for everyday use but it does come in handy when there is no power. My father has the 24v Bosch kit and thats all he uses. I havent tried the new lithium ion Bosch.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Invent an adapter or single battery charger that will accept all the different types of batteries then retire rich. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I wont say the tool brand i've had in all the trucks for the past 10yrs, but i bought them for the simple fact we cannot kill them so i have no justification to buy a different brand....and the company is even nice enough to make tools designed to use the exact same battery design they've had for a decade...even when they came out with the lith ion stuff, they made them to fit the tools i bought yrs ago....too bad all the flashy fashionable tools to have were'nt so nice in this regard, but it makes sense for them to over charge for tools (expensive makes them better and looks more professional right?) and then change design every year or two forcing you to upgrade everything.:censored: mo money in their pockets for guys in the feild to keep their image intact.:laughing:

Personally i dont mind cordless for drills and impact drivers, and in a pinch for simple cuts I'll grab the cordless saws too, but 9 out of 10 times i'll grab a corded sawzall or skillsaw for the fact they cut circles around any cordless tool out there and dont even blink while doing it:laughing:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Get Makita. Best batt tech and capacity on the market, great quality tools, and massive range of tools for a 18v set. I aint got one complaint from Makita for cordless tools. I even know guys who are still using 10+ year old makita cordless drills that you can still get cells for and chargers for. Dam even their Radio still takes the old skool cells. In my eyes you cant get a better set of cordelss tools.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yellow and starts with a D.
My first year on my own i bought the yellow junk, got a year out of the battery's, by the time i added up replacing all of them, it was cheaper to buy a new set....got another year from those and said F..k It, i'm never buying anything yellow that takes a battery since they're over priced junk. Not to mention snapping 4 drills off where the motor unit met the handle from ladder falls.

I bought 2 sets of a different color often referred to as homeowner grade, but the tools themselves have held up to daily usage, no breakage even from roof to concrete slides, and the batteries are cheap and until they came out with the lith ion's, i could get 2-4 yrs out of them no problem. With the advent of the lith ion's, i've been able to go from keeping 4-7 batteries on hand to 3 total...they last that much longer and charge quickly!! Yes the saw's are cheesy but i have always opted for corded saws anyhow for the power, but the drills and impacts have done everything i've needed from them over the years with no fuss. So i'm not the cool guy with yellow stuff that is junk IMO, unless they've gotten 100x's better in the last 10yrs, i just said the heck with it...function over form and have been happy ever since and alot more money in my wallet to boot:laughing:

·
Carpenter
11 Posts
Makita cordless tools definately seem very nice, I have been using DeWalt for going on 16 years and there is a lot to be said about using only the one brand... I would highly recomend anyone to stick to one brand if possible.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My first year on my own i bought the yellow junk, got a year out of the battery's, by the time i added up replacing all of them, it was cheaper to buy a new set....got another year from those and said F..k It, i'm never buying anything yellow that takes a battery since they're over priced junk. Not to mention snapping 4 drills off where the motor unit met the handle from ladder falls.

I bought 2 sets of a different color often referred to as homeowner grade, but the tools themselves have held up to daily usage, no breakage even from roof to concrete slides, and the batteries are cheap and until they came out with the lith ion's, i could get 2-4 yrs out of them no problem. With the advent of the lith ion's, i've been able to go from keeping 4-7 batteries on hand to 3 total...they last that much longer and charge quickly!! Yes the saw's are cheesy but i have always opted for corded saws anyhow for the power, but the drills and impacts have done everything i've needed from them over the years with no fuss. So i'm not the cool guy with yellow stuff that is junk IMO, unless they've gotten 100x's better in the last 10yrs, i just said the heck with it...function over form and have been happy ever since and alot more money in my wallet to boot:laughing:
So what brand is it? I had the same thing happen to a Dewalt drill.

I will go take a look at the makita sets. I have never had a cordless makita.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yellow and starts with a D.
Ryobi doesn't start with a D.

I just have never been very happy with cordless recep. saws or circular saws.
Cordless recip saw is my least used, but cordless circular saw can be a real lifesaver...espicially when your in a hi-rise fighting over power and no generator but I wouldn't want to frame a house with one.

Honestly I couldn't live without my cordless roto-hammer (TE2), I've used my TE-25 a half dozen times last year, if I got the cordless TE-6 I would consider retiring the 25 to a dark corner of the cube van.

Cordless impact is a must, hauling around a corded impact or using a socket wrench is a PITA.

Everyday I find myself using less and less cords and I love it. I have Dewalt, Hilti and Ridgid and an old Makita. I have been happy with all of them, the Ridgid is the weakest in terms of battery life but for the money it was equally good dollar value as the Hilti or Dewalt. I believe you will be happy with any modern brand name cordless set.

If you already have a decent cordless set then buy another compatible set then you have 4 batteries and 2 chargers, mount one in the trailer and throw the other in your drill kit and your never without charge.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
So what brand is it? I had the same thing happen to a Dewalt drill.

I will go take a look at the makita sets. I have never had a cordless makita.
One of my guys bought a lith makita set and i dinked around with it a bit and they seems like a very nice solid tool so i would'nt be afraid to by a set in the future. I was leaning towards trying milwaukee stuff since i've used my plumbers 18V tools and 28V stuff on occasion when i was too lazy to walk to the truck when he had the stuff on hand LOL!! I liked the fact they were all THE heaviest cordless tools i've ever had the misfortune of picking up, but that also said to me "beefy". Then i started to see a pattern of every year he was getting a new set, so after about 5 years i finally asked him why he traded tools like he traded trucks, and he told me the battery's in the milwaukee's are a joke and cant hold a charge for more than a year...so that kinda shot my dream of someday buying a set of them since they too like to change battery design on a mofo:furious:

So my junk is not makita so there's only 1 other blue cordless set out there, and they released the "new" lith ion sets in the most putrid green color this year. I wont say the name, but those are plenty of hints LOL!! I get enough razzing from all my subs about my junk cordless tools, but now after more than a decade of working with these subs and watching them go through more tool sets than i have girlfreinds;) when they poke fun i ask "how much have you spent since i've know ya upgrading all your cordless stuff? and look what we're STILL using, these same junk tools we had before i knew what a PITA you really were":laughing: and then they just revert back to ribbing me about buying blue junk:laughing::laughing: so that's what i mean, cant win, it honestly does'nt bother me at all since i do agree the saws are a joke, but they've worked just fine when i needed them, i just would'nt plan on using them for mass production stuff, the drills/drivers are what we use everyday anyhow, and i like the fact battery upgrades have been done so they can be used in every cordless tool in the 18V range for over a decade now...and the batts and chargers are chaeep:clap:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts