Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

I'm doing my second job with a sigma cutter and was hoping to rock through tiling today with it - score-snap-stick.

My first job went ok - they were 12x12 tiles, no prob. This job, tiles are 18x18 (1/4" thick), and I have to cut 1 1/2 inches off each of the end walls - it's a 34" shower base, so two rows of tiles.

It aint workin. I score, snap, and about 1/5th of the waste breaks off. It's properly adjusted to the size of tile, I've tried scoring once, multiple times, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference. It does not break along the score line.

I tried doing it multiple times on the same tile as a test. It seems to start working fine once more of the tile is supported on the cutter...But I can't figure it out on a full tile. 1.5" doesnt seem like it's too small... but maybe for an 18" tile/1/4" thick it is.

Any tips? Tool is brand new. It's the 60cm version.

Thx. Mike

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I hardly use the Sigma any more .
If I even think that I will need to make one wet cut, then the whole job gets wet cut.
I'm almost considering selling it.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I have a Rubi and score and snap anything I can. It's way faster.

As for tips... I just score it once and break it. If I break a tile that way, I score twice the next time. It seems to work fine. You do have to watch a little closer on the shorter breaks but mine seems to work on those as well.

·
Registered
902 Posts

As for tips... I just score it once and break it. If I break a tile that way, I score twice the next time. It seems to work fine. You do have to watch a little closer on the shorter breaks but mine seems to work on those as well.
I fully believe it's faster, in fact, I may try a Rubi!

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
You can't use it on natural stone but we don't lay much of that. Plus I imagine the scoring wheel is a lot cheaper than a saw blade. Plus the time savings is nice too.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Make sure your movement is fluid. One quick slice and a nice jab with the snap. Make sure you are scoring the back and front of the cut. When I first started using the snapper, I was not getting the back and the snap would be sloppy or the cutoff would break.

I don't use the snapper when the tile has more than usual texture to it. It does not get into the creases like it should. This could be user error on my part though.

I find the score and snap to be very quick. It can be right at your side so no need to go outside or set up a wet cut booth.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I was under the impression that you never score twice.

Let's see. Make sure your tile and cut line is clean. You can wipe the cut line quickly with a cloth. Make sure the wheel is rolling nicely and is oiled. I guess you can oil the line as well if you like, as you see people cutting glass do.

Practice on some cheap ceramic first.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I've never been told how to use one so maybe you're not supposed to score twice. I just do sometimes and it works.

Also never oiled the wheel... I guess if it isn't broke I won't fix it. lol

Porcelain and ceramic is all I use it on and it works great compared to the piece of crap I used to have from lowes

The quick snap like CrpntrFrk said is for sure a good tip. I used to push slow and when I bought the new one the guy at the store showed me how it worked and it did the fast hit on it and that works nicely.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts

The Rubi is a push while the Sigma is a pull. They don't handle the same. I used a Siri this weekend for the first time. It's a pull, and what a learning curve. It's nothing like my Rubi. My Rubi is what I am used to and easy to use. I broke the first three tiles and gave up.

Angus was used to it and made me look like a noob. He did say that when he first bought his, he used it a bit and then put it away for awhile. He just didn't like it. But then when he brought it back out and got the hand of it, he likes it a lot.

Mike I would say you need more pressure on the cut/pull.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
TNTSERVICES said:
The Rubi is a push while the Sigma is a pull. They don't handle the same. I used a Siri this weekend for the first time. It's a pull, and what a learning curve. It's nothing like my Rubi. My Rubi is what I am used to and easy to use. I broke the first three tiles and gave up. Angus was used to it and made me look like a noob. He did say that when he first bought his, he used it a bit and then put it away for awhile. He just didn't like it. But then when he brought it back out and got the hand of it, he likes it a lot. Mike I would say you need more pressure on the cut/pull.
Oh interesting. I wasn't aware of that. OP, disregard my advice. Lol...

Do you score both sides like was mentioned earlier? I've never done that and the rubi breaks great IMO.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Oh interesting. I wasn't aware of that. OP, disregard my advice. Lol...

Do you score both sides like was mentioned earlier? I've never done that and the rubi breaks great IMO.
I should underscore that Rubi does make a pull, but their push are more common.

I have never scored both sides and have never heard of anyone actually doing it.

I also wouldn't say you gave bad advice. It still applies. I was really commenting on the fact that Rubi was easy to use. Push snappers tend to be easier to use.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Mike , I'm able to cut pieces of porcelain tile 20''x20'' 1/2'' wide strips with my Rubi . It also depends on the texture of the tile , the rougher the surface of the tile makes a big difference on how the cutter wheel comes in contact with the tile . There's also different cutter heads available for porcelain or ceramic . Some tiles snap different than others , example , some snap when pressure is applied in the middle and others at the ends . You could also try spraying wd-40 on the cutter and cut line . There's all kinds of tiles out there quality wise , sometimes you have to experiment but Rubi is a very good cutter . I can cut 10 tiles with my Rubi compared to 1 with my wet saw and no setup or clean up time wasted . I only take out my wet saw for natural stone .

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Snap cutters are very personal. They are a tool you need to spend some time with and learn the best ways to use one. Like Rob said, he struggled on mine as I'm sure I'd struggle on his push cutter. Funny, I saw the review I did on my Siri where I gave it a 6.5/10. A year later, I bumped it to 7.5/10. Even a few years later now, I'd go up to 9.5/10.

The motion of push or pull is an individual thing. I prefer pull. But I think the real meat and potatoes of most cutter and the cutting wheel itself. A bad wheel on a good cutter isn't doing you any good. However, a great wheel on an OK cutter will probably get you along pretty well.

I'm sure there are easier cutters to work out there than mine....but that's just it. It's mine. Like the speech from Full Metal Jacket:
"This is my cutter. There are many like it but this one is mine. My cutter is my best friend. It is my life...."

Oh and once you get used to a cutter, the wet saw takes a back seat.....no doubt!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
It's kind of a design flaw/deficiency, there's only pressure on one end and that force needs to be transferred all the way across the length of the tile with one tiny little score mark. You can't cut a piece of hardwood scoring and snapping one end, a Hershey bar doesn't always break at the score line when applying pressure at one end. The best way to break would be scoring at the desired mark and equal pressure applied downward along the length of each side with cut line raised slightly to allow for the tile to fold downward. Now if anyone would like to design such a product which would apply adjustable force on cutting wheel and automatically applying downward force to break would be nice of you. All you would have to do is set it at your mark and hit a button, sweet!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I can drop by and show ya.

Score, put the breaker foot a half inch from the base of the tile, press slowly, don't bang it with your hand.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I can drop by and show ya.

Score, put the breaker foot a half inch from the base of the tile, press slowly, don't bang it with your hand.
Angus's Siri is a quick snap. If you take it slow you won't snap it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts