Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
No chalk lines. Learn how to shingle right before you go for speed. Learn how to shingle in many positions and both directions, right and left. Shingle in a stair step pattern and cut the shingles as you go, beginning and end. Lay the bundles out 4 feet up and 4 feet apart all over the roof before you start. Get a rythm (sp) on your nailing. Don't try to go fast, get them where they are supposed to be. This is my system and I haven't found anyone who is even close to as fast as us.

Another thing, ask yourself if you are working as hard and eficeintly as you can. If you can honestly answer yourself, you will get better.

I can easily hit 4 square an hour on a walkable pitch if I feel like it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I do like TOm and MJW...cut all starts first out of the same bundle. This will usually leave you with even water slots if youre paying attention. I snap a line to get the sarter straight, and then for up and overs. Learn to lay them straight. The speed will come. I am not as fast as MJW, but I rarely shingle anymore.
Snapping a line at the bottom is a good idea when using 3tabs or you want to keep them really straight. Most of the houses do not have a straight fascia. I'm sure we have all seen some doozies. hehe ;)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sounds pretty good for shingling simple starter homes. Nothing wrong with that, but it's hard to learn anything that way. You must do a couple a day, eh?

We shingle off our knees also, but I don't hold the shingles. WE have about 15 square on an 8/12 to do this morning before the sun gets warm. I'll see how we fair today for speed.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I could do a shingle every 10 seconds for an hour, but it would have to be an open roof with no cuts and have a break every hour. Nobody can shingle that consistantly.

We got our 15 square done before noon and that was including recieving the shingles. I was happy.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I go through a lot of bundlers. When I first started roofing at the tender age of 13 I bundled for my father who would get on 25 sq's a day minumal for days on end all summer long, most days were 10 hours. By the time I was 16 I laid my first shingle. He then ran 5 new construction crews so he stuck me with one if his crews. When I was 15 durring a Summer month we worked 20 days straight. My fathers longest run was 42 days straight on the roof.

The first year I bundled all Summer I was paid $5 an hour each year increeasing a dollar an hour before I finally started shingling. By the time I was 18 the hourly pay was up to $15 an hour. At 19 my father and I went into business together and at the age of 22 I went solo and have never looked back. Now at 27 wondering if I want to bust my butt on the roof everyday for the next 30 years. 7 years ago I got the chance to train my little brother how to shingle and 3 years later he went on his own and has done pretty well.

To think I used to get paid $5 an hour to work as hard as people I pay to do the same thing making up to $20 an hour! Unreal!!!

I learned the best way to keep bundlers and grunts around it to treat them well. Having a cooler full of water, ice and energy drinks helps along with free food helps them come back the next day. I'll spend hundreds of dollars a week on my guys between food and drink. To keep the cute 19 year old chick comming to work everyday I bought her a car unitl my wife found out!!! Now she only works a couple days a week but it's nice eye candy. She works circles around half the grunts on a daily basis.

hmmmm, I thought you were a one man crew? Got any ins. on those people working FOR you? j/k
Think straight man, not just the dollars.

I work about 6 hours a day and do plenty well. There is no reason to kill yourself trying to make a buck.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
sparkie, ridge vent and be done with it.

Intake is not absolutely neccessary. I think a regular vent works, one for every 150 square feet of attic floor space. Find out what ridge vent works for and you're set.

Intake does work better, but not needed for the IRC 2006 code.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We operate as a corp.
In definition you are an employee and the president or VP or whatever title you want. These terms are just for tax purposes. I would recommend being a corp to anyone. It's just simpler in the end.

It really doesn't matter because you are still the owner. It just depends on how you set up your supposed shares and percentages of the company.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts