Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Could someone please help me out here? I have recently moved into an older apartment in the area of north Houston, Texas and it's pretty much infested with 2 types of roaches. The first type I believe is the German cockroach which I've set combat max? traps that seem to be helping so far. The second type is a tiny little bitty species that I've never seen before. I'm attaching a picture that I just took.

For whatever it's worth, I moved in 2 weeks ago and have had the exterminator here 3 times. I think the sobs have evolved to be resistant to some types of treatments.

Also, the leasing office assured me that the whole building was treated the day before I moved in and even went as far as showing me their records. I do have attic access, I'm considering throwing a few Raid foggers up there.

uploadfromtaptalk1399795470104.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Roaches don't hang out in the attic. They only go places where there is food, water and/or moisture. So if you go the fogger route, you want to do it in your kitchen and bathrooms, preferably under the sink. Pipes are their pathway between apartment units so "visiting" roaches come this way as well.

Boric acid works very well also.

But it is important is to use only ONE method whichever you decide choose.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Seriously, I'd try to capture one and take it to a well know exterminator or local university that had a "bug" course. Obviously, it's not called a bug course, but I can't remember the property name at the moment.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've used a site called pestmall.com they have some really good insecticides on there to order. Also if you look under bug types they give you a picture and short description, then a list of products that work for killing it.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,809 Posts
For German cockroaches, which are notoriously difficult to exterminate, technical boric acid is the way to go. Sprinkle it around where they track and they'll pick it up and take it back to where they nest; it'll take awhile but it will finish them off.

The problem with an apartment building is if they don't get them in the other areas they'll keep coming in.

P.S. I think Complete W&D is right that what you have there is a baby cockroach.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Those are German cockroach nymphs. Having the exterminator out that the apartment uses won't do you any good unless you can get them to use bait only. Say you are afraid of the sprays. They aren't in the attic.

The best thing you can do is to avoid all sprays and aerosols, including the apartment's exterminator as they probably use the cheap stuff and not the good stuff. That's just how it is, apartment complexes pay next to nothing, so what they get isn't very good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The best way to treat them yourself is to use bait. You can also use boric acid with the bait. Get Raid Double Control Small Cockroach Bait Stations Plus Eggstoppers. It comes with 12 bait stations and 3 eggstoppers. Follow the instructions on the package and put the bait stations on the counters, floor, behind the fridge, and in the lower cabinets. Break the glass ampule in the back of the eggstoppers and I'd put two behind the fridge and spread the rest around to the areas of greatest activity. They disperse in the air and airflow is important. Taping them under the top cabinets is a good location, as well as under the sink up high.

You need to treat in the compressor compartment of the refrigerator and in the top corners, especially the back ones, of the lower cabinets. If you open the cabinet next to the refrigerator and pull out the drawer look up at the back corners with a flashlight. There will be a plastic triangle there and that is where they like to live. Also, if you look under the counter at the front edge there is usually a crack there, they love cracks.

The way to treat these areas is by placing a bait station very near to it, applying pea sized dabs of a gel bait, or dusting them. The way to use dust like boric acid is to apply a nearly invisible layer of the stuff. Shake the bottle gently side to side while holding it upright so that the dust becomes suspended in the air and then gently squeeze so that the dusty air billows out like smoke. Hold the tip close to where you want it to go. This is good in those cabinet corners, refrigerator, and under counters. You don't want to just dump it all over the place in piles 10X taller than a cockroach. In the refrigerator compartment you just shoot the dusty air into there. Where a dust mask.

The very best dust ever made is Avert Dry Flowable Cockroach Bait.

Also try to shoot some dust through the opening under the sink where the water line goes to the dishwasher and around the sides, top, and bottom of the dishwasher. Then get some into the openings where the pipes come through the wall for the sink drains in the kitchen and bathroom. Hopefully this will get them when they try to re-invade from neighboring units.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The bait stations I mentioned may not be available at every store, but most do have them in the insecticide section. Things like gel bait and the Avert Dry Flowable you can get on the internet. Most gel baits are pretty good. I like all of the Maxforce variety, but the original with Hydramethylnon seems to be thicker and would be easier to deal with, although their other varieties don't drip either, FC select is always a good choice. Some are bad about dripping.

BTW, great pictures!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well that's basically called Brownbanded Cockroach. Spreading boric acid on their territory helps a lot in killing them. Anyways, I'm also having a friend of mine who works for Pest Control Manhattan NY ( http://www.positivepest.net/midtown-manhattan-pest-extermination) you can contact him even and get free quotes from him.
He is a great guy. Ask him to teach you some DIY pest control methods even.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advice! Boric acid did the trick. I haven't seen any of the those little bastards in several weeks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts