Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thought or experiences on Tiny House (<300 sq ft)?

Watching a documentary on Net Flix about it now

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The problem with trying to build a smaller home,even if it is not "tiny" lies in the vast majority of municipalities . Most mandate a size much larger than what quite a few people want or need under the guise it will bring down property values of adjacent homes if you build smaller.

How ridicules is that ? If you build a 2,ooo sq.ft. house and spend $100 a ft. and I build a 1,000 sq.ft. house and spend $200 a sq. ft. where is the rub ? Houses in America continue to get larger every single year,to accomplish that and keep price down,do you think material quality increases or decreases ? ?

We as a nation need to wake up ! IMHO,the quality of the vast majority of new construction in this country is a far cry from what it was prior to WW II . We are on a slippery slope .

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
FJN. many tiny houses are built on trailer frames, which i'm sure would take it outside municipal jusridictions because it's non-permanent.

My buddy on one of the channel islands is building one right now. He's got it dried in as of the last i heard. 20k trailer frame and axles...paid scrap price for it. It requires a particular person and lifestyle but it makes a lot of sense for those that it makes sense for. Wouldn't work for me but for a guy who's tools all fit in a milk crate or 2 and has no kids and is in a warmish climate...i could see it. I'd consider it if I didn't have a family, Most of all i use my house for is sleeping anyway

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct, the majority are built on trailers making them mobile and code exempt.

One couple was living in a 125 sq ft house. Crazy

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think my tool trailer would need to be bigger than my house trailer at this point. lol

The landscape on the documentary is amazing

·
Registered
192 Posts
All new houses built around here seem like just a bunch of wasted space inside. I've been tossing around ideas about building a house and minus my garage and my fiancées closet I don't need a lot of space like a piss poor designed houses that just look good from the outside that these builders are tossing up everywhere

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The whole idea is pretty cool, I definitely admire anyone who can pull it off. I think we could live in a tiny home pretty comfortably but we'd need a barn for my tools and her dresses/blouses/boots/whatever.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
A small house on wheels with fold out beds. Wouldn't that basically be a non-aerodynamic camper ?
I think its foolish. " I save all this money by living in a shed" great. What are you gonna buy with all your money ? Nothing fits in your shed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
It's not necessarily about saving money...it's about not needing stuff. Maybe they use the money they save to live in a warmer climate 6 mos a year...who knows, maybe they spend it on blow.

Maybe it doesn't work for you, that's fine, it works for some. And yes, it's a lot like living in a trailer or a camper, just personalised and much higher quality

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The house is on wheels not for portability but as a way to get around building codes. They build the home on a trailer and haul it to its final location and that's it. Some may build the home where it will stay.

He's right, it's not about saving money. It's about living with less, unnecessary stuff. The people on the documentary seem very happy.

I don't know if it would our wouldn't work for me and my family. But, I'm not opposed to at least entertaining the thoughts.

We all know people who have huge houses or estates with only two people living there. The ones I know, it's a waste. But to them, it's a status symbol: huge pools that they never use, huge yards that they never use. I could go on. I know one couple that has seven cars for two people. A few of the cars are so rarely driven they need to be repaired due to dry rot. Waste.

But it works for them. BTW, they're both very miserable too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I watched that documentary just last week. They interviewed a bunch of people living in tiny houses for different reasons. The one reason that really made me stop and think was TIME.

Instead of working so much to pay for all of this stuff that I don't really need, maybe I could just spend that time with my family, and doing things that I enjoy. Travel, explore, live life, focus on what's important.

In my situation, I don't see how living in such a small space with two kids would work, but I can definitely see scaling down to a 500-100sq ft. house.

While building my own house, We lived in the 24'x24' shed that I remodeled quite nicely. If I could do it all over again, I'd have thrown on another bedroom and called it a day.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have mixed feelings on the tiny house thing. I mean REALLY, they are mobile homes and/or campers. I see no reason to go to extremes, when a house of 900sf to 1500sf is plentiful and more than enough space for 90% of Americans.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I like having stuff. Do I need all the stuff I have or want, no, but I like it. I work hard so that I can live in reasonable comfort and have the things I want. Being squished in a shed isn't my idea of a good life.
What if you ever wanted to have someone over for dinner ?
I have lived in a small studio apartment and it sucked.
I like to be able to sit on the toilet and not have my feet in the bathtub.
I have 4 kids and I like them all having their own rooms so that I know who is grounded for not picking up after themselves.
I like a big house, affordable but big. I own 2 houses, one is a four bedroom and one is a 5, I couldnt imagine downsizing to even a 3 bedroom never mind a camper.
I could live in a camper with my family, but I wouldn't want to.
I could live in a tent with them, but it would be hell on earth.
Tiny houses are silly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
ModernStyle said:
I like having stuff. Do I need all the stuff I have or want, no, but I like it. I work hard so that I can live in reasonable comfort and have the things I want. Being squished in a shed isn't my idea of a good life. What if you ever wanted to have someone over for dinner ? I have lived in a small studio apartment and it sucked. I like to be able to sit on the toilet and not have my feet in the bathtub. I have 4 kids and I like them all having their own rooms so that I know who is grounded for not picking up after themselves. I like a big house, affordable but big. I own 2 houses, one is a four bedroom and one is a 5, I couldnt imagine downsizing to even a 3 bedroom never mind a camper. I could live in a camper with my family, but I wouldn't want to. I could live in a tent with them, but it would be hell on earth. Tiny houses are silly. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Do your grounded children have to sleep in the smaller house?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think our house is tiny: 1200 sq ft, the bedrooms. But we're happy here and love the neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts