Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Design Build
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

I had help in setting the posts from my landscape contractor. His guys were fast (a day versus me taking longer). I had 1x4 bracing on site but he said, no need. Their method worked perfectly. The posts are aligned and plumb. Great job.
He said he had a job once to set 300 posts. No way to brace that many in a cost effective manner. Just a string, a 4’ level, concrete and a tamper.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
View attachment 510736
I had help in setting the posts from my landscape contractor. His guys were fast (a day versus me taking longer). I had 1x4 bracing on site but he said, no need. Their method worked perfectly. The posts are aligned and plumb. Great job.
He said he had a job once to set 300 posts. No way to brace that many in a cost effective manner. Just a string, a 4’ level, concrete and a tamper.
I've gone to that method. Water in hole. Dry concrete, tamp, then water on top. Seems to work very well.

Of course we have a lot of moisture here. Probably not a useful system in the desert.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Design Build
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I don’t know what it would be like in the desert. I’m west of Seattle and our ground water is 18 inches down from grade in my yard. Every hole had water in it when I dug to 3 feet with the auger. It’s crazy wet here. Some people refer to this as a temperate rainforest as opposed to a tropical rain forest.

I think there’s a clay layer down there because one of the holes pulled up a bunch of very mushy clay.

·
Design Build
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I’m applying treatment to all sides of the posts to cover the spillage that occurred when I treated the tops of the cut posts. Now they all have a uniform dark brown color.

That stuff has a certain “aroma“ that my wife absolutely cannot stand so when I’m done, those clothes get to live out in the shop until I pre-soak them and then they can get washed. It might be best just to trash them.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,639 Posts
I don’t know what it would be like in the desert. I’m west of Seattle and our ground water is 18 inches down from grade in my yard. Every hole had water in it when I dug to 3 feet with the auger. It’s crazy wet here. Some people refer to this as a temperate rainforest as opposed to a tropical rain forest.

I think there’s a clay layer down there because one of the holes pulled up a bunch of very mushy clay.
Does the Tongass Rain Forest run through there?

Mike.
___

·
Radical Basement Dweller
23,492 Posts
That is a good looking fence.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,639 Posts
View attachment 510821

I stopped for dinner. More tomorrow.
I'm still looking for a simple post cap - I'm leaning toward a 5/4 x 8 cedar with some chamfered/router'd edge with a ½" overhang all around the sloped post top.

I'm open to suggestions.
Maybe incorporate some copper into it. Could look good after it weathers.

Mike.
___

·
Design Build
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Copper. I never even imagined that. Is that something I would fabricate or have someone make for me. Does it require copper nails so they don’t have some kind of electrolysis reaction?

very cool suggestion

·
Registered
160 Posts
Copper. I never even imagined that. Is that something I would fabricate or have someone make for me. Does it require copper nails so they don’t have some kind of electrolysis reaction?

very cool suggestion
4 in. x 4 in. Copper Pyramid Post Point-58679 - The Home Depot. $4 ea, I put some on with pl max, think they come with copper nails. Chamfer the corners of the post so the cap fits down a little bit for a better fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Design Build
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Unfortunately I have a habit of over-building. My main posts are 4x6 and the corner transition posts are 6x6.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
23,492 Posts
41 - 58 of 58 Posts