Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Design Build
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a framer (well former), I often catch myself thinking...."I can do ANYTHING."
...and...well....I can. ;)

Now It might not be to the highest industry standards if it's outside of my expertise.....but dang it....I'll sure giver her a whirl.
So, with the high level of home time recently, I have looked at my old dilapidated fence for far too long.
I have the materials, means and TOOLS to get this done over the next two weekends. Oh, it's on.

Here's my plan.
It's probably a bit over kill, but that's just how I am.
I'll upload pix as I progress.

On older remodels I would find some undersides of boards with a kerf width rip along the length of the board near the edge.
I was told it prevented water from being able to weep horizontally along the bottom.
Any truth to that? I might do that to the cedar pieces.

I'm thinking of letting the cedar age for a season to let it turn a bit gray (the house trim is gray)
It feels wrong to not stain or at least put some kind of water sealant on it right away.

·
General Contractor
8,049 Posts
Looks good Bro, go for it, but I would narrow down the gap between the post and center panel to make it look more proportionate, with a larger gap it looks like something is missing, other than that it's a nice design.
Post a few pictures when its done.
Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I like it!
I do agree with Greg on the post to wire gap being a bit big though. Are you trying to leave a big gap for animals, or just for appearance?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Looks nice Wallmax. The hog wire panels are big here in Tx. On decks & fences. I really like it as is. Saw an interesting fence dividing ranch properties last week. Our native Juniper 6” posts vertical 6-7’ tall or so w/I’m assuming cables running through it. Rustic yet uniform & private. Solid rock property, been trying to figure out what he did below ground. Trench & poured I’m assuming. Sure wish I’d taken pics. When you get done I’ve got a few acres to fence ha

Mike

·
Registered
Remodel
28,623 Posts
Those gaps will look fine if you put a medallion in the middle of the panel. Coat of Arms, logo, star, something.

Yes, the grooves keep water from wrapping around the edge and traveling horizontally. It's a traditional detail on old wood windows.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think Davis is talking about a kerf cut on the bottom of sills, & drip molding. It will cause the water to drip right at the edge of 2x4, instead of working back to center. I thought of the same ting, but it comes down to how much work you want to make of it.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,623 Posts
I think Davis is talking about a kerf cut on the bottom of sills, & drip molding. It will cause the water to drip right at the edge of 2x4, instead of working back to center. I thought of the same ting, but it comes down to how much work you want to make of it.
Exactly right. It used to be planed in, but kerf is how I do it.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
The width should be no greater than the space of the wire, so if the wire is a 2 x 2 opening you should have a 2 in Space from your style to the post!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks nice Wallmax. The hog wire panels are big here in Tx. On decks & fences. I really like it as is. Saw an interesting fence dividing ranch properties last week. Our native Juniper 6” posts vertical 6-7’ tall or so w/I’m assuming cables running through it. Rustic yet uniform & private. Solid rock property, been trying to figure out what he did below ground. Trench & poured I’m assuming. Sure wish I’d taken pics. When you get done I’ve got a few acres to fence ha

Mike
I have to make a fence that style on a upcoming project. It’s called a jackel or jacal fence. If you are back by it would be nice to see how people do it in your area. The ones in my area are usually poorly built nailed to cross members or wire wrapped to a cross wire. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
No cross members/nailers on this one. Again, it’s solid rock pretty much here. Picture juniper (cedar) tree post w/bark vertical no spacing. Likely trenched for pour, w/cable top, middle & bottom cinched tight. Rustic but beautiful & private. Been in Tx. 40 plus years never have seen another. Don’t walk on to others property here. Back road view only

Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
No cross members/nailers on this one. Again, it’s solid rock pretty much here. Picture juniper (cedar) tree post w/bark vertical no spacing. Likely trenched for pour, w/cable top, middle & bottom cinched tight. Rustic but beautiful & private. Been in Tx. 40 plus years never have seen another. Don’t walk on to others property here. Back road view only

Mike
Thanks

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Looks good.

I couldn’t tell how the bottom of the hog panel will be secured.

Whether it is put in a dadoed channel or held in by trim, I wouldn’t rely on silicone. I’ve drilled holes in a dadoed channel to let the water escape.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,146 Posts
Looks good.

I couldn’t tell how the bottom of the hog panel will be secured.

Whether it is put in a dadoed channel or held in by trim, I wouldn’t rely on silicone. I’ve drilled holes in a dadoed channel to let the water escape.

There are guys who will cut off the bottom wire rail on the hog panel and drill holes for the verticals to go into then a piece of wood on each side. I'm pretty sure the good ole boys do it around here to keep coyotes out of an area because they won't dig underneath with those verticals coming out like spikes on the bottom rail. Of course those are not very visually appealing and just meant for AG stuff.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,623 Posts
1" clearance is likely to get filled with dirt, dust, leaves, grass clippings, etc.

My buddy's solution for dealing with the string trimmer issue is he pours shallow concrete under the fence so nothing grows there. He can just run the mower wheel along the edge of cement, then blow off with a leaf blower.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts