Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year the State of Washington wrote $1,638,250.00 in electrical citations. In 2003 it wrote $841,750.00 worth of citations. Ten years ago an electrical contractor or licensed electrician would not lose their license because they couldn’t pay fines issued to them. In the last 5 years 633 electrical contractors and electricians could not renew their licenses because of fines still owed to the Department. Presently there is $2,467,800.00 in collections for electrical citations.

These citations (94%) are written mostly to tax paying businesses for non-safety issues. The Department typically writes 4-8 citations for a single event, usually for not purchasing a $50 permit. For that, thousands of fines are issued and the only way to contest the fine is to pay a fee to get a hearing. This fee is in addition to the fine.

It’s time to reform the way L and I does business. Go to the site www.electricians4reform.com and click on the online petition page, and sign the petition.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
There is a mechanism in place to contest fines. Some of these fines, especially when multiple fines are issued, are for safety violations.

Sure woulds like we have an entitled mentality going on here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vast majority of fines are for no permits on small jobs (adding an outlet). The fines are generally $250 x 4 for each occurrence.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Source?

112 public records request to the Dept. of Labor and Industries. These are their own numbers.
You can't come up with anything we can see, only your interpretation? And why should we care?

And should this be viewed as anything other than sour grapes? How often have you been popped by L&I?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not an interpretation, facts are facts. I've had a few run ins with L and I, but every day I hear from people that have been treated worse by them. Again 633 people could not renew their license for petty citations.

Check out the site. Numbers don't lie. Check out the stories from contractors around the state.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It is not an interpretation, facts are facts. I've had a few run ins with L and I, but every day I hear from people that have been treated worse by them. Again 633 people could not renew their license for petty citations.

Check out the site. Numbers don't lie. Check out the stories from contractors around the state.
Facts are facts? You haven't supplied any.

Numbers don't lie? What numbers? Just stories from those that have gotten popped

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
if the law states that you need to pull a permit to change one box, then why not get it?

Reactions: Gary H

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trying to tell a little old lady we need a permit to do anything that small just isn't feasible. Not to mention arranging inspections with a disorganized dept. Why bother licensing us if they want to "inspect" every little thing we do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.