Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been long overdo. I need to replace my deck boards. It currently has cedar that is almost 20 years old, only stained twice in those 20 years. I`m torn to replace it with the composite deck boards, or use cedar again. My motto is that if I cant spray it in the shop, I don't want to paint/stain it.. Which is leaning me towards composite. Can you deck guys recommend a particular brand that holds up better ? doesn't move a ton, etc. I`m in NE Ohio, so we have crappy weather half of the year. Deck is in the sun all day. How is it that I can recommend something to my customer, but on my own stuff, I`m lost. I`m looking at using the Camo mounting system to attach the boards. So....cedar again, or composite ????????

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,132 Posts
My own personal opinion:

Wood can be grown indefinitely. When it’s time to tear off the deck, it can be used to cook your food, heat your house, heat your laundry water, of composted back into the dirt.

And it’s “sustainable”, in that there is no known reason why we would stop having wood.

Composites are just more manufactured garbage with massive end-of-life cycles issues, and that never looks good for too long.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I predict that in 50 years we will be digging up landfills for the resources. Like old milk jugs and deck boards.

Composite is fine if you don't mind the aura of plastic around your house.
I would prefer wood. But I'm going composite on my deck replacement this summer. Mostly because my wife tells me too.

I've only had one customer in 15 years choose wood over composite decking. People seem to be averse to home maintenance.

Give me convenience or give me death, and all that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,508 Posts
I predict that in 50 years we will be digging up landfills for the resources. Like old milk jugs and deck boards.

Composite is fine if you don't mind the aura of plastic around your house.
I would prefer wood. But I'm going composite on my deck replacement this summer. Mostly because my wife tells me too.

I've only had one customer in 15 years choose wood over composite decking. People seem to be averse to home maintenance.

Give me convenience or give me death, and all that.

Smart man knowing your place in the home. 🤣

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Smart man knowing your place in the home.
I have a nice little pole barn out back that she doesn't interfere with. If she wants to paint the bedroom walls yellow, and have metallic maroon curtains with gilded edges, so be it.
Still hate the 98 pillows on the bed though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cedar needs to be stained once a year for the
first three years, then every three years after that.
Since you're apparently not into that, you need composite.
I can't say which brand holds up the best, but I know the darker colors get
hot as hell in the sun, so I personally would get the lightest color possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"
Cedar needs to be stained once a year for the
first three years, then every three years after that.
Since you're apparently not into that, you need composite.
I can't say which brand holds up the best, but I know the darker colors get
hot as hell in the sun, so I personally would get the lightest color possible. "

I had the same thoughts. With the cedar, I know what the wood is going to do. I learned that it needs some space between the boards, on that, it doesn't shrink like PT does. If I go cedar again{which I think is better looking] what stain should I use ? I tried One Time Wood, its from Ohio. It didn't last a year. I used Cabot the first time, and it seemed to last for a few years. I have read good results from TWP from the guys on here. I can get it shipped to my parents in NC, because our EPA in Ohio doesn't seam to like it here in OH

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
8,405 Posts
If you go with composite demo the whole deck. Doesn’t make sense to put a 40 year product on a frame that’s already 20 years old and won’t have another 40 to go. It’s heavier and shows up any imperfections in the joist. So to get a nice flat floor you’ll end up replacing a lot of the joist.

If you want to save cash reskin with cedar and leave a gap between the boards as you mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
46,094 Posts
Wood I have yet to see a composite that didn't fade, deteriorate or need power washing in a short time. Nothing is maintenance free.
Composite companies claim low maintenance for a reason. Everything outdoors will get dirty.

I replaced a piece of deck facia after it was hit with an edger. Four years and you couldn't tell the difference from the old. Capped composite has come a long way.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the replies. The framing is 16' on center. I pulled a few of the old boards off, thankfully when I did the deck originally, I used all stainless screws, so removing them is easy. The PT framing still looks to be in good condition, from what I could see.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
After 30+ years, I reskinned my 600ft deck a couple years ago. It was 5/4 pt over 2x8 joist 20" oc at a 30deg angle. The angle matches our 6 sided gazebo.
Anyway, the way I did it was strip it, pressure wash, & then use Copper Cuprinol put on with a paint roller. I only treated tops of 2x8's, but also complete 2x10 support beams. I made sure to get Paslode gun set up with high flow fittings, 50ft 3/8 hose, from local surge tank without regulator, for use of Paslode ring shank nails. The result was perfectly set nails without fail.
The biggest bummer is that I had to use a water based stain because of state regs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts