Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about building a deck for someone but water is up and it never goes down. Where I used to live people would build during winter when water was down. So any tips on digging my holes? I'm worried years from now it could sink a little where I didnt get my holes deep enough and hit good ground. Oh and there a no boats that pile-drive them here. Anyone have an idea? If not I want do it because I dont want my name to become bad 10yrs. from now.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hmmm not sure on the web..i'll look. ..but I used a trash pump with a 2 in. hose long enough to reach my post location...I attached a 1 in. pipe about 4 feet long and aimed it at the base of a standing post (standing a tall post in 3-4 feet of water can be tricky) The water washes the material out and the post sinks in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mics_54 explained it perfectly. We do a lot of docks and we use the same setup he does. We have some custom pipes and a few tweaks, but we do a lot of docks. If you're just doing one, I'd say rent a trash pump from Lowe's or HD for a day, rig a 5' galvanized pipe onto the end of the hose and have at it! You'll get the hang of it pretty quick - you'll want to use the pipe on different sides of the post as it goes in to adjust its location. One key thing is to make sure you use the "jet" to fill the around the post back in and mound it up after you've got the post where you want it. Feel free to contact me for any specifics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts