Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Its irrelevant to the story.
Disagree. The subject is about the owner's management of his company and a few examples are given by the OP, high turnover being one of them.

I can clearly see problems...Not a good way to treat the workers
I just took an outside-in view of the company's crew, and that tells a lot about the owner/manager/lead. This isn't about a random act of an individual walking and a bird flying by as there's no causality to that other than randomness. Who his crew is, who remains working for him is anything but random.

If it will make you feel more comfortable, the mexicans (in mexico) treat the mexicans from southern mexico (the indians) like crap when they use them at their jobsites down there, and they complain how they defecate out in front of everyone, etc. But what they don't mention is the rates the mexicans pay the indian mexicans, no mexican would work for--they'll go to the states, so the crews on those type jobs are full of mexican indians...treated like dirt.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Disagree. The subject is about the owner's management of his company and a few examples are given by the OP, high turnover being one of them.
So there is a high turnover rate in native American workers?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
FF,
I was wondering if he was in the four corners area. Then there'd be more indians around as that's that area.

:D I'm glad you've experienced that type of diversity on jobsites. :D That always made it more fun. Mexicans are used to being the overwhelming majority at construction sites, so it would make sense, but I'm sure there's a cultural thing between the two. Maybe what I alluded to as mexicans really look down on mexican idians--no mexican wants to be one. What I'd get a kick out of is the russians yelling at the mexicans because the mexicans couldn't speak english. Another thing that was funny was the americans (that look mexican) get pissed because everyone would come up to them and start speaking spanish to them.

All funny stuff that provides a sometimes fun diversion. My background is mostly commercial/large multi-family type.

speaking of workers, jerk boy better work till 11 tonight and get things finished up since he was hanging out down on federal blvd all morning

what was the question?
Lizz's Gig still on federal? Some things I miss about denver, some things I don't. Haven't made up my mind about that bar yet.... lol.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The only ones I ever had any exposure to were in denver and they were all street drunks from pine ridge. Dated one once and she was a dry drunk and was fun when she wasn't psycho. She was from MN though and was half black.

The only group I don't have any experience with in the trades are indians and blacks and I think that's because there aren't a lot of either in colorado. Interesting as I've not thought too much about that before.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
No, I'm not bringing my own generator.
But if you do, everyone wants to plug in everything from their phone charger to their battery tools. Then there is always the goofball that has the 50 amp floor sander who complains that the breaker keeps popping.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Gary H

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
SectorSecurity, That's something else! I don't believe the U.S. is that strict but it does make me want to review the law to see exactly what my responsibilities are and everything that goes with it.

Originally Posted by: LeoG ••• Burning out employees isn't a good thing. All you will accomplish is getting work that gets worse and worse. When the moral hits a low then the thefts start because the employees thing the boss owes them something (other than a paycheck)•••

Yup, I agree fully. I would want employees that were happy to be there. Work can be satisfying when you feel respected.

Kowboy, Amen to what you said. Somebody teach me how to use the bloody quote function.

Hey Okiecontractor. Start a new thread already. I said, "my bad" a long time ago;)

CO762, you asked about the N. American's skill sets. I'm not sure because I've only been working for this Architect/Contractor for two months and we are at the start of a job, but, when I installed cabinets on a past job that used this particular architect, I saw the very same guys doing finish work so I imagine they can everything in between as well. I know two of the guys have worked for my employer for the past five years.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
And I should follow up by this is my first time working with Native Americans. I come from cabinetry which was mostly Germans and white dudes. But these guys put up with a lot in my opinion. Too much.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Seems that way huh Jaws? I hear you buddy, but I'm still going to work for him. I feel a strong desire to make change.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Around here houses are built with crawl spaces, not basements. When there is not a porta john on site, guess where workers go to take a crap? Ask me how I know.

Hint: I used to install Jenn Aire ranges with down draft vents that ran through the crawl space.

·
Super Moderator
28,164 Posts
Seems that way huh Jaws? I hear you buddy, but I'm still going to work for him. I feel a strong desire to make change.
Hope you make it work, buddy. :thumbsup:

I feel like this industry is going to chit most of the time now, not like when I was a boy.

For me, the day I can't look my trades or my own men in the eye, proud of what we build and the environment I provide, I will move on. There are easier ways to make money.

Most "builders" now couldn't build a straight chit house with out subs. I have no respect for them, and it pisses me off they claim my profession.

Any GC worth his salt, especially those who wore bags to get to where they are at, should have enough respect for his hands and trade contractors to provide a bathroom and decent wage.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Your local jurisdictions ( bldg inspectors) don't check for proper sanitation on the job site?

If your employer is this flagrant about providing a chitter there are probably other safety violations at the site(s) also.

Hard to imagine someone in the hood hasn't complained.

·
Super Moderator
28,164 Posts
Your local jurisdictions ( bldg inspectors) don't check for proper sanitation on the job site?

If your employer is this flagrant about providing a chitter there are probably other safety violations at the site(s) also.

Hard to imagine someone in the hood hasn't complained.
This chit bag is par for the course here, unfortunately.

·
GC/carpenter
43,588 Posts
We not only have to show our building department the paperwork, we have to have a catch pan, because if there is any residual cleaning water spilled, we will get fined. This stuff is SOP when pulling permits.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
We not only have to show our building department the paperwork, we have to have a catch pan, because if there is any residual cleaning water spilled, we will get fined. This stuff is SOP when pulling permits.
I doubt there is any place in California where you could get away with out having a porta potty.

Water Quality Control Board would get a HUGE chunk of your arse...:laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
43,588 Posts
griz said:
I doubt there is any place in California where you could get away with out having a porta potty. Water Quality Control Board would get a HUGE chunk of your arse...:laughing:
And I don't mind forking over 88 bucks a month, its the best money spent on a jobsite, my chitters stay clean too, it tells a lot about the subs your hiring. They are all house broke. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,164 Posts
And I don't mind forking over 88 bucks a month, its the best money spent on a jobsite, my chitters stay clean too, it tells a lot about the subs your hiring. They are all house broke. :thumbsup:
Wow. Something is cheaper in CALI:whistling

I pay over a bill a month

21 - 40 of 76 Posts