Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for true RMS and both high and low impedance, mostly for general electrical work but occasional electronics as well. Needs to be reasonably rugged if it's going to survive living in my van.

And of course I don't want to spend the farm on it.

Recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
Isn't Fluke sort of the industry standard?

Don't ever recall seeing a Sparky with anything different.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
Does the 87 now also have the hi/low impedance feature? I know mine doesn't because I need to use Flukes stray voltage adapter with it to eliminate ghost voltage. The Fluke 117 looks like a nice meter and has the dual hi/low impedance. It's also like a couple of hundred bucks less than the 87.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the 87 now also have the hi/low impedance feature?
I don't believe it does. It's also a bit over my needs and budget. I actually have the 117 in mind as a candidate--anyone have experience with it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to carry a 179 as my main meter. I liked it. It recently got stolen and I've replaced it with a 117. I really like it. It's a bit smaller but still rugged and does everything I usually need. I thought the VoltAlert system built in was cheesey but might be one of my favorite features. It really is handy. I know a few guys with 87's and they also love them. The 87 is good if you deal with electric motors cause of it's Low pass filter. Of course I've never seen them use their 87's for something my 117 or 179 didn't do, minus like a VERY small difference is accuracy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts