Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
i did a kitchen for a guy who is cheap. It was my 2nd job after going on my own this past winter. He ordered the cabinets, and played GC with the rest of it. He knew me from before when i worked for a GC as a project manager. All i did was set the cabinets. Every time something came up, he kept calling me. example was the wiring was messed up from the drywaller. He calls me. I tell him i dont know, i wasnt there, dont know anything about it. Call who ever did the dw, not me.
Next one was the plumber broke the fitting in the wall while hooking up the sink. He calls me all panicy. "Plumber said you need to come over right away and pull the cabinet" Me- "I cant, the granite is on. All i can do is cut the back out and make a new back, but it will cost $50/hr plus the $65 for the sheet of pre-finished plywood. Time starts from the time i leave here until i leave there and the plywood supplied and all the way over in Newcastle, its gonna take me an hour to get there and back."
"The plumber said he can just cut the back out nice and put it back, i think it will be good enough. Man, why do all the these problems keep happening to me?" me- "you wanted to play GC, this is what i used to deal with daily, on multiple jobs at once. Still wanna play GC?"

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I work alone so $200 for 3 hours most likely less time is not bad.
That would be under a hundred an hour. How long did it take you from the time you left till the time you came home from looking at this job? Those are real hours too and account for your working hours.

You really need to double if not triple your prices. It is possible you dont get hired because people think there is something wrong with you and your prices. (too low)

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I think that making an improper comparison has a lot to do with it. Even though they think that the price is fair, they think that's too much money for one person to collect.

For instance, if you were offered a raffle ticket for $1 and there were 20 tickets being sold to win a $50 prize, you would probably buy it because your odds are 20:1 to win $50. BUT if you knew that one person bought the other 19 tickets, you probably wouldn't buy the last raffle ticket because of the strong likelyhood that the other guy would win. The odds haven't changed yet you don't want to buy that last ticket.

So that's why they don't mind paying thousands of dollars to some big corporate outfit like Sears or Home Depot because they can mentally "justify" it even though the CEO of the company is making millions.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts