Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've stated this in another thread as well.....What difference does it make what the customer makes and hour? Does every customer feel like they should make more than us? I didn't get into the business to not make money. When you take the risk of being in business for yourself, it's because there should be a certain payoff.
I know that from first hand. Theirs, bad ones, line of thinking is - he is carpenter, you need not any school for it, I'm university educated and have 30$/hour, so he don not deserve more then 15$/hour.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Women usually say let me talk it over with my husband when it comes to contractors. The women usually just handle the cosmetic choices in the matter. This guy was retired in his 60s. He is simply too cheap.

I have an idea. If anyone from now on gives me crap about price I will hand them some business cards of really high companies:thumbsup: If this guy was balking at $200 for some electrical work let him hear the prices of the big companies:laughing:

I know Lowry electric charges $75 just to come out and that's not doing any work. To replace a light fixture would be $125 and to change the light socket in the range hood would be a similar price.
I don't know who Lowry electric is, but those prices are in no way exorbitant.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I don't know who Lowry electric is, but those prices are in no way exorbitant.
Nobody said it was exorbitant to me, it would be to that guy. They are much higher then what I charge was my point. They need to charge that being the largest company in the area with high double digit trucks on the road.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
how do you know he didn't think you were too cheap? and was leery to sign on with you?

this guy will do this for $200 ? what will go worng next? will he burn my house down? is the good price worth it?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Maybe the dude did the math and said $200? for what 3 hours? that's almost $70 an hour no way...I don't even make that. Seriously lots of people are like this. I even had a lady tell me that in my face once. She said "that's like $50 an hour I don't even make that"
Interestingly enough nobody says that to their doctor or lawyer.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Last time someone said that I make more than them, (3 yrs ago) I said, "well of course, building an addition is much harder than being a teacher".

It should cost more.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Luckily the majority of my customer base is referral. But I do get referrals on occasion to tire kickers and cheap people.

And a lot depends on who gave them my number. It reflects on my pricing and the way I handle it. My way of doing things.

Hang in there. Good luck.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
I know that from first hand. Theirs, bad ones, line of thinking is - he is carpenter, you need not any school for it, I'm university educated and have 30$/hour, so he don not deserve more then 15$/hour.
I've worked for those people. One lady (college professor) was doing the math in her head & made some comment at the end of the day about how much I make an hour. I just asked her, "you were satisfied with the bid I gave you, right?" Her, "yes". Me, "what changed, should I have worked slower so I didn't make as much per hour?"

I went on to tell her, "it's your fault I can make so much" Her, "how's that" Me, "you professors think everyone needs a college education. In turn, there's fewer skilled tradesmen & we're higher in demand, so we can charge more" :)

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
My uncle has nothing higher than a high school education. He is a self made millionaire through sales in the RV industry.

He told me something that a lot of us don't like to hear but is 100% true in the trades.

"Its not what you know, its who you know."

You are on here complaining because you are good but can't seem to make it. You are working for the wrong people. Like others said, find the right people. Raise your prices. From what I have heard it can take a while for your client base to adjust from having low pricing but it can be done.

The next guy might only possess a fraction of the skills that you do and be far more successful simply because he knows the right people.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Spencer just gave everybody the Golden answer to business. His uncle was 100% correct.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know"

It goes hand in hand with the three most important rules for retail "Location, Location, Location"

Surround yourself with successful people and that success will bleed over to you.

Don't drag your net on the bottom of the ocean and be surprised when all you caught where bottom feeders.

Focus on building high quality trade relationships who will send pre-qualified clients your way. You don't need many relationships, just a few and you don't need many pre-qualified clients from them. It's not about quantity, it's all about money clients who want quality work from people they can trust and understand there's a price to pay for it.

If you're a one hat show and don't sub work out you will never break out of your little bubble. You need to venture out and build relationships.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I just gave a person a price easy one day pergo job and trim as they say.

I have them my day rate and answer back with its straight forward and I'll pay 175.00

My answer was 200 and they pay for the carbide 10" blade lmao

They answered fast the first time and do far no reply back lmao.

I didn't really lower my price, I got them too buy a blade for me lol I'm using the rusty blade for their job.

Oh I got mail lol I wonder!!!!

·
Stonemason
659 Posts
"Its not what you know, its who you know."

I would take that one step further and say; It's not who you know, it's who knows you.

I also agree... Raise your rates and target a different client base. We do high end stonework, are among the most expensive around, and have a 3 year wait list.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Let's face it we are in a demanding, thankless trade most times, but those times when a customer sees the work you've done and what went in to it and they get tears in their eyes give you a big hug and pay you like they should makes it all worth it. To me anyway

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
I just gave a person a price easy one day pergo job and trim as they say.

I have them my day rate and answer back with its straight forward and I'll pay 175.00

My answer was 200 and they pay for the carbide 10" blade lmao

They answered fast the first time and do far no reply back lmao.

I didn't really lower my price, I got them too buy a blade for me lol I'm using the rusty blade for their job.

Oh I got mail lol I wonder!!!!
Please tell me you charge more than $200 a day

41 - 60 of 64 Posts