Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
Lots of tightwads here so I don't drive out for free estimates on small projects. That eliminates almost all of them. I charge a trip fee and an hourly rate for repair work. The lowball guys will educate them and they won't kick the tires so hard the next time.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Lots of tightwads here so I don't drive out for free estimates on small projects. That eliminates almost all of them. I charge a trip fee and an hourly rate for repair work. The lowball guys will educate them and they won't kick the tires so hard the next time.
I found this to be effective too, although I will usually credit back the initial estimate cost if they go through with the job.

I can usually figure out who is just price shopping and they get the 5 minute this is what I would charge price, I don't lose any sleep over it.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You guys fix doors too? I need a new electrician!
I have experience in many trades but electrical is my main trade. I do other work when I'm slow with electrical work ...if I want to.

I built a 8x16 shed for a customer that was my last project that ended last friday.

And I told the guy to clean the track and put some oil on it so i wasn't going to do that.

90% of that price was to put up the light fixture and to take down the range hood to replace the light socket in it.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Some interesting replies here and a few out in left field with assumptions but that happens on every forum:thumbsup:

I met the guy while waiting in line at the deli in the supermarket. The line was long so we were bull****ting about something that involved contractors and I told I was one. He said oh really i need a bunch of stuff done.

This thread wasn't about not getting the job, I don't care about that it happens. This was about what people think the cost of things should be. What did the guy think this work should cost? $75?:rolleyes:

I really think that part of this problem is that some people think we make $50+ an hour and that is all of our money to spend freely.

Maybe the dude did the math and said $200? for what 3 hours? that's almost $70 an hour no way...I don't even make that. Seriously lots of people are like this. I even had a lady tell me that in my face once. She said "that's like $50 an hour I don't even make that"

:no:

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I even had a lady tell me that in my face once. She said "that's like $50 an hour I don't even make that"
I've stated this in another thread as well.....What difference does it make what the customer makes and hour? Does every customer feel like they should make more than us? I didn't get into the business to not make money. When you take the risk of being in business for yourself, it's because there should be a certain payoff.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I think if someone said that I make more than them I would have no choice but to be insulted. Because I swing a hammer for a living I should be committed to the lower runs on the economic ladder? Are the skills that I possess less important than the ones possessed by the customer?
I don't get it.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've stated this in another thread as well.....What difference does it make what the customer makes and hour? Does every customer feel like they should make more than us? I didn't get into the business to not make money. When you take the risk of being in business for yourself, it's because there should be a certain payoff.
I follow you. I told her just because it comes out to $50 an hour that certainly is not my salary.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think if someone said that I make more than them I would have no choice but to be insulted. Because I swing a hammer for a living I should be committed to the lower runs on the economic ladder? Are the skills that I possess less important than the ones possessed by the customer?
I don't get it.
Sadly the skills we possess are considered less important to a large part of society in my opinion especially these days. Back in the old days in the 50s-70s a man in the trades was respected not really anymore.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Without us, and those like us, the people we call Home Owners, would be Homeless. There would be no office to work in, no heating and air conditioning, and no beautiful backyard to relax in. We are more important than we give ourselves credit.

I highly respect those in the trades.

I could obviously go on and on, but I'm speaking to the choir right now. But, we need to understand our importance before others will.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Without us, and those like us, the people we call Home Owners, would be Homeless. There would be no office to work in, no heating and air conditioning, and no beautiful backyard to relax in. We are more important than we give ourselves credit.

I highly respect those in the trades.

I could obviously go on and on, but I'm speaking to the choir right now. But, we need to understand our importance before others will.
I certainly know my importance but I can't change the perception some have on contractors. I try not to work with those people anyway but sometimes they are hard to spot.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, I've heard the "I don't even make that" from a HO. I just replied "Well maybe you should ask for a raise". After I explained how things work in the real world they were happy to move forward with the project. Taxes take a huge chunk right off the git. Let alone the insurance and fuel for a box van. If they don't like it, hire someone else and good luck finding another guy.

Don't get down too much about it. It's their problem, not yours. I will say that for the most part my customers get it and are happy to pay my price without even negotiating. Where I'm at there seems to be so few guys doing quality trade work at fair prices it's often like taking candy from a baby. Hang in there, if you're like me, it's is all I know so I have no choice but to take the good with the bad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Forget selling handyman services to men! Sell to woman. They have no idea how long things take or hard they are and they are used to hiring people. They also like building a relationship with contractors for emergency situations. You and I don't worry about the heat going out or water in the basement etc. they do. They want to know they have someone they can always call on. Your selling a service not just a job.

The guy your trying to sell to can probably do it himself, he's just looking for a chump to do it for cheap. His pride also prohibits him from paying someone 70/hr when he's making less.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Forget selling handyman services to men! Sell to woman. They have no idea how long things take or hard they are and they are used to hiring people. They also like building a relationship with contractors for emergency situations. You and I don't worry about the heat going out or water in the basement etc. they do. They want to know they have someone they can always call on. Your selling a service not just a job.

The guy your trying to sell to can probably do it himself, he's just looking for a chump to do it for cheap. His pride also prohibits him from paying someone 70/hr when he's making less.
Women usually say let me talk it over with my husband when it comes to contractors. The women usually just handle the cosmetic choices in the matter. This guy was retired in his 60s. He is simply too cheap.

I have an idea. If anyone from now on gives me crap about price I will hand them some business cards of really high companies:thumbsup: If this guy was balking at $200 for some electrical work let him hear the prices of the big companies:laughing:

I know Lowry electric charges $75 just to come out and that's not doing any work. To replace a light fixture would be $125 and to change the light socket in the range hood would be a similar price.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
200 bucks? You should have just done it for a 6 pack of beer. Joke about it being very easy and when pressed on the price very routinely say $450.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Women usually say let me talk it over with my husband when it comes to contractors. The women usually just handle the cosmetic choices in the matter. This guy was retired in his 60s. He is simply too cheap.

I have an idea. If anyone from now on gives me crap about price I will hand them some business cards of really high companies:thumbsup: If this guy was balking at $200 for some electrical work let him hear the prices of the big companies:laughing:

I know Lowry electric charges $75 just to come out and that's not doing any work. To replace a light fixture would be $125 and to change the light socket in the range hood would be a similar price.

You looking at it all wrong. You dont compete on price with homeowners. You compete on personality, humor, accomidations, attire, cleanliness, and punctuality.

Raise your prices, increase you calls, sleep better.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts