Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I outgrew my Small Snap-On box yrs ago and was too cheap to invest in anything bigger so i built a box out of plywood for all my cases and put a small Craftsman box on top of that. Well, now that has gotten full i decided to go bigger. My Snap-On dealer had an older Matco 64" triple bay so he took my box on trade plus $700. I found a top box through Montezuma measuring 56" for $695 with free delivery. I just finished swapping everything over and the new boxes are about 90% full. I will wait another yr or two before i step up to a 73"-76" triple bay top and bottom. All of this just for hobby, i have not turned wrench now in 8 yrs and yet i still buy and use. I am still planning to buy a lift this winter to make life easier, wait and see i guess. The red box is my old one for trade, the black bottom is the Matco i traded for and the top is the one i bought online.

Attachments

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,186 Posts
i have not turned wrench now in 8 yrs and yet i still buy and use.
Makes no difference. It's a mental disorder a lot of us have. If I had the money back that I've spent on tools I had to have...couldn't live without...and have only used never or only once...I could buy more tools.:whistling

Women have their shoe issue. Men have their tool issue.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
woodchuck2 said:
I outgrew my Small Snap-On box yrs ago and was too cheap to invest in anything bigger so i built a box out of plywood for all my cases and put a small Craftsman box on top of that. Well, now that has gotten full i decided to go bigger. My Snap-On dealer had an older Matco 64" triple bay so he took my box on trade plus $700. I found a top box through Montezuma measuring 56" for $695 with free delivery. I just finished swapping everything over and the new boxes are about 90% full. I will wait another yr or two before i step up to a 73"-76" triple bay top and bottom. All of this just for hobby, i have not turned wrench now in 8 yrs and yet i still buy and use. I am still planning to buy a lift this winter to make life easier, wait and see i guess. The red box is my old one for trade, the black bottom is the Matco i traded for and the top is the one i bought online.
When I get my shop built I would like to have a set like that

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
So what's this hobby? What are you working on?

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My set up, circa '74-'75? The wall cabs are AC tools and pullers.

Tom
I had one of those wall cabinets about 10yrs ago for pullers and probably half full. I got a smoken deal on it "$200" and sold it to a friend for $500. Bought it, had it for about 6 months and never used it so i said why bother. Sold it to him for profit and still have access to them if i need them, still havent needed them either :laughing:.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So what's this hobby? What are you working on?
Still restoring my 65 Buick Skylark but i am almost done with that "as much as i want to do anyway". My car came with a spare 401 nailhead and tranny and i just bought another 401 with tranny. I also have a new tri-power lined up for one of these engines so now i am looking for a 30's-40's car to make a decent rat rod out of. I just found an all steel, all original 38 Ford coupe but at $6500 it is out of my price range right now. That and i would not rat rod that car, it is way to nice for that.

A buddy of mine wants to go partners on starting a classic car restoration shop but i have been putting him off for now. I am waiting to see how devoted he will be into investing in this venture. So far i have been expanding my tools for myself. My next planned investment is a 2 post lift and plasma cutter, then another smaller roll around car lift. So far his investment, nothing but talk so far.

Here is the link to the 38 Ford if anyone is looking for a nice car to build: http://glensfalls.craigslist.org/cto/4122165500.html

That car would be a sweet ride done properly. Another buddy of mine had a 37 just like this but sold it for a property investment. I showed him this and he was drooling but he cannot justify the expense of buying and building it right now.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
LOL I'm right there with you last wrench I turned professionally was 05. Yet I still buy mechanic tools maintain my own vehicle and my family's. Changing out the axle and transfer case oil tomorrow on the work truck.

I had one of those flat roll around floor lifts that raise to waist level. Used it all the time but had to sell it in 08 when times got rough.

Cole

·
Registered
13,797 Posts
I had one of those wall cabinets about 10yrs ago for pullers and probably half full. I got a smoken deal on it "$200" and sold it to a friend for $500. Bought it, had it for about 6 months and never used it so i said why bother. Sold it to him for profit and still have access to them if i need them, still havent needed them either :laughing:.
I'm in the puller cabinet at least once a month. I've had those cabinets longer than I've been married. I own a 20 ton press and anther couple of casses of pullers and plates. Gotsta have the tools to do the job.

Tom

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL I'm right there with you last wrench I turned professionally was 05. Yet I still buy mechanic tools maintain my own vehicle and my family's. Changing out the axle and transfer case oil tomorrow on the work truck.

I had one of those flat roll around floor lifts that raise to waist level. Used it all the time but had to sell it in 08 when times got rough.

Cole
I left Chrysler in 05 to work Corrections. Huge step in pay and more buying tools was nice until the stress got to me. Back then my trucks were new and under warranty i was not wrenching at all, now the trucks are paid for and off warranty i am back to wrenching on my own to save money. So, back to buying tools :laughing:. Like said above with woman buying their shoes and cosmetics we need to buy our tools. I have been going through my tools lately finding what is broke and getting replaced, some tools i have double of and never use are getting traded and some tools are just wore out. Going into a bigger box really has been stressful trying to remember what is where. This will take some time to memorize. The old box i had in the same order for almost 10yrs with small changes.

·
Registered
13,797 Posts
What is it?
The Chevy Vega had a 4 cylinder over head cam aluminium engine. Not only were the unlined cylinders an issue, but the cam shafts had oil issues. The tool is for depressing the cam follower/valve springs so you could remove/reinstall the cam shaft.

I probably have 100 odd ball/specific tools like that. Not including all the special ones I've made over the years.

Tom

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've got several tools specific to the old Volkswagen 1.6 diesels, I need them because I own one...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.