Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Someone here as posted some pics of work they did like that. Cant remember who it was, but it was impressive. I dont remember if it was real or lick and stick.

Those pictures are absolutely amazing though. I dont think you will ever find anyone who wants to spend the time and money it takes to do something like that though. The golden age is over.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Wow great link....I just finished reading a book about building cathedrals over Christmas so my interest in vaulting is piqued again. If i ever build a house it will have a vaulted masonry ceiling somewhere.

This picture has always captured my imagination.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the exhibition on this by Boston Public Library and MIT has been pushed from 2009 to this year, ending Dec. 2010. Thankfully, as I thought I had missed it. This should be fantastic, and for me, it's close. Thanks for that link Luka. It's great to see a fair amount of interest in this kind of work. I like that small MIT project, that may be what I try initially...This exhibit may create a niche market for this work in the high end....So maybe some of us may finally get a chance to do one of these...I think I'll get to Boston soon... Artisan, I think your wine cellar is coming soon, I'm crossing my fingers for you...

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,113 Posts
Here's an old one in a cafe in London. The craftmanship is not that good, but it was probably not built as a showpiece.
Restaurant Building Architecture Arch Interior design

Here's the method for building one if you can find someone with enough cash.
Text Design Pattern Pattern Paper
Text Design Pattern Font Diagram

·
Knows less all the time
398 Posts
I also want to try timbrel vault now that I have a little experience building barrel vaults and groined vaults with normal sized bricks.

I am a bit concerned about the cost of plaster of paris, as with a bovedas or nubian method you can use clay which is almost free in comparison.

I posted one of the links that Lukachuki listed above on what i have tried so far. I keep looking and looking for more details, like how to cut the tiles going into the groin without a rib. I guess you just try a small one like the MIT students until you figure it out.

Thanks everyone for some more links , some of them I havent seen.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
I decided to try a (modified) Timbrel vault for my personal wood fired oven. It is built using 2-1/4"WX1-5/8"Hx9"L firebrick. I used a buck, but the grab of the dry firebrick and refractory cement was good enough that I could have done it without. 2 layers of firebrick and a 3/4" layer of mortar for a masonry mass of 4". It went up in 5 hours, and I pulled the buck the same day.

Attachments

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I decided to try a (modified) I used a buck, but the grab of the dry firebrick and refractory cement was good enough that I could have done it without. .

Could you have obtained the nice arch without the buck? I think it serves two purposes.

Nice work, It is helping me see my pizza oven.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Denver,
Nice brickwork on the wine cellar. You need to post that in the masonry pics section.

You do know what they call three masons in a basement...?

A whine cellar.:clap:

Reactions: denver 2

·
Registered
92 Posts
Fundi,

The method I used was to first build the groin arch ceiling out of wood then sheet it with masonite board and then apply some metal lath and add a scratch coat of mortar. I cut the ribs out of bullnose brick and cut the ceiling brick to a 1 inch depth and then applied as a thin brick application. I first applied the ribs and then filled the barrel arches on all four sides and then grouted all the work with a grout bag. If you are attempting to build a groin arch out of lightweight brick tiles as some of the pictures show earlier in this post I would think starting with the ribs would be helpful. You still would need to build some arch supports for the ribs and then fill in partially all four sides as you go to create equal latteral pressure on the ribs. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts