Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just finished a 44' x 16' raised deck using Timbertech slotted deck boards and hidden fasteners. They now have a howling or whistle whenever the winds are just right. The deck is 11' off the ground so stopping the wind from getting to the deck is not an easy task. Has anyone ever experienced this and what is the fix?

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
It happens with decking when clips used. The wind moves under the deck and up between the boards and whistles when entering the board groves, but that only happens in some situations. It's a similar effect to when you have a few pieces of lumber on your van racks and you use straps as hold-downs, when the wind hits you hear the howling sound.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You might have to enclose the lower section of the deck to prevent the wind from hitting the bottom full force.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I wonder if 1/4 or 3/8 backer rod tucked inbetween the boards in areas would help. Not fill the entire deck but short pieces between each joist space????

Tom

·
Registered
424 Posts
I’ve heard of this before but haven’t experienced firsthand. We use butyl tape as a general rule on joists and maybe that’s the difference; or not.

Curious to see if other deck contractors have had this issue also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
Not much you can do but provide wind protection and see if that helps, but the wind could enter from the top of the deck also. It works like a whistle... You have deck groves and you have clips, clips have space inside the grove for expansion/contraction, so when the wind hits in the right direction and travels along the grove it will make a whistling sound.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Maybe something as simple as a short row of lattice at the top will break up the wind enough to stop it. Or drop some skirting down.

A picture may help.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We just finished a 44' x 16' raised deck using Timbertech slotted deck boards and hidden fasteners. They now have a howling or whistle whenever the winds are just right. The deck is 11' off the ground so stopping the wind from getting to the deck is not an easy task. Has anyone ever experienced this and what is the fix?
Thank you for all the responses. Here are a few pics to show you what I am dealing with.
Cloud Sky Water Wood Building Water Sky Cloud Wood Shade Wood Shade Road surface Rectangle Sky

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
are you positive the wind noise is not coming from the wire railing? put something heavy over it like a blanket and it will change the harmonics. if that doesn't work, put an area rug around the deck until you find where the whistling is coming from. I doubt the entire deck is doing this so narrowing the area down will help with the fix.

·
GC/carpenter
44,240 Posts
Trex changed the bottom profile from round edges to chamfered just for this problem. They did the research to get there.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are you positive the wind noise is not coming from the wire railing? put something heavy over it like a blanket and it will change the harmonics. if that doesn't work, put an area rug around the deck until you find where the whistling is coming from. I doubt the entire deck is doing this so narrowing the area down will help with the fix.
I removed the cable railing and noise still existed. I did cover the bottom of 3' cantilever with Tyvek and so far no hums or whistles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I removed the cable railing and noise still existed. I did cover the bottom of 3' cantilever with Tyvek and so far no hums or whistles.
I have this issue and we thought it was the cables at first. It wasn't.

We actually have vertical slats skirting the entire deck and foundation (the house is on piers) and we still get it. I am figuring the noise comes from the wind going over the boards (not under). In fact, when your crawl under the deck its much louder than when you are standing on the deck. Any other ideas would be welcome since so far all I can come up with is the skirting and that didn't work.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Can you upsell them on one of those under deck drainage systems? Finish the look off from underneath, and significantly reduce the wind blowing through

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you upsell them on one of those under deck drainage systems? Finish the look off from underneath, and significantly reduce the wind blowing through
Can't have anything that redirect the water underneath. Conservation Commission closely watches to be sure you do only what they approved...and they haven't approved that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts