Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think about tilt-up concrete construction? Is it as effective and efficient as everyone says? What are its limits? Should I work with a design-build contractor who has a lot of experience in the field? Tilt-up seems like a great method, but I haven't really found any bad reviews which makes me a little nervous.

Thanks!

-Z

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Tilt-up is great for the right application- usually that's a large warehouse. What type of project are you considering it for?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never been around any field work involving tilt up construction, but I do structural steel detailing and have done a few buildings utilizing tilt up concrete panels. All of the projects we did were strip malls and they were all design/build. Looking at the plans, it looked pretty straightforward and efficient.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Lots of things you can do with site poured tilt ups to make them not look like concrete. You can buy some pads that lay in first to give in a split block or brick finish. Or you and do some nice detailing by laying wood strips down. I see them around here and by the time they are done with paint and awnings , you would never guess they were concrete.

But what i really like the the pre cast, pre stressed panels made by a local company. They do some fancy stuff with concrete walls and they can pour them today and put them on a truck and set them tomorrow which you don't want to try with site poured walls.

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
Tilt up is the wonder of our age. The only problem with it is that when you are done....you have a tiltup. Kind of like the mobile home of commercial construction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts