Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Home remodeling
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Have a question concerning shower floors. I'm a mortar bed guy. Someone wants me to use a product called Shower Ready. It's a shower base that you tile over. My Question is how reliable is it. I'm sure it will tile ok but has any one had any problems with it not holding up well long term? I'm really Leary of it. Don't like being the Ginny pig using it the first time
Thanks
Jhc

·
Home remodeling
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Is there anyone else out there to weigh in on this product. I need some ammo to take back to the customer. By the way the company is called Tile Redi and the product is called Redi Base. It has its own glue for the tile.
Thanks
jhc

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Best ammunition?

Show them the price compared to the Schluter system---I'm a mud base guy and have never used the premade pans--however,the premade Schluter pans are respected and used by a lot of tile setters---Time and time again--

The 'Tile Ready' pans---I doubt if many tile setters would choose to use one a second time----

Tell the customer you have a safer choice---

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
The first issue I have with them is that the slope is garbage. The two that I have installed (both purchased by the customer), pooled water in small areas. I also didn't like the tie in to the walls and waterproofing that it calls for.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You are responsible for warranting your work--if you aren't confident in a product---decline the job---

If your customer has faith in your skills and judgment,they will change their mind and go with the products you will back.

·
Home remodeling
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point Mike: After posting this I went on a search. I found post that are from 1012-2013 from all you guys that responded back. Very interesting to read. Obviously, I will pass on this product. The slope issue is a big deal with me. I had a preformed fiberglass shower stall that I put in my own house over 30 years ago. The slope was a problem and water pooled in it. I cussed that thing every time I stepped into it. It was like ice water on my feet. Sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Thanks to all you guys for all the input. I'll stick with my mortar beds.
jhc

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used this stuff alot. It is junk I agree but I have a tip that my old boss showed me. Go to a new construction house and ask for some buckets of stucco sand it really helps with it setting up and holding fit a long period. Also it makes it easier to work with and compacting. Makes it not sick to the trowel

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I have used this stuff alot. It is junk I agree but I have a tip that my old boss showed me. Go to a new construction house and ask for some buckets of stucco sand it really helps with it setting up and holding fit a long period. Also it makes it easier to work with and compacting. Makes it not sick to the trowel
Just use the Kerdi shower system

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
He mentioned his boss, probably an employee.
He said old boss, past tense, gave him a tip. Could mean anything. I just wanted clarification. I try not to assume anything.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
You think he may have a young boss?
I think it was old as in past tense...not old as in age. Again, assumptions that I don't like to make. But to answer your question, it's possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts