Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client who wants me install a new 36" neoangle shower Into a basement bathroom. We will be gutting the whole space and redoing everything including flooring, walls, electrical, plumbing and all finishing fixtures.
With the shower, they want the inside tiled instead of using the vinyl wall sheets that come with the shower kit. My concern is getting a good water seal around the tile and glass walls and wall mounts. Is silicone my only option to ensuring water doesn't penetrate behind the tile?
I plan on removing all the drywall and installing tile backer board. I don't know if Kerdi is needed but I thought I would install it anyways and run it right past the shower walls to about 6" past the walls...then tile a border around the shower. Any thoughts on getting a really good seal around the tile/backer board and glass walls?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I've done the glass enclosures in the past, the tile extends past the glass creating a solid water barrier with the tile. If silicone releases, then water ends up on the outside of the shower. With a neoangle, the tile will have to butt up against the side walls, possibly allowing water to get right behind the tile. Am I right here in this thinking?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts