Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm redooing a guest bathroom. Retiling the floor outside of the shower. What if anything can I use to adhere a tile base to the outside of the shower pan?

I don't suppose I can Kerdi the intersection between the floor and the base. I'm using Ditra on the floor.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
What material is the base? If you mean using Kerdi on the side of the base that would be no different than just tiling the base other than the use of unmodified thinset.

I don't recall ever tiling the side of a pan, if I did I would just caulk between the floor tile and base then tile the side of the base. I'd be concerned with adhesion, might put a paint on membrane first that stuff sticks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You most definitely can use Kerdi between the Ditra and the shower base. Fold the Kerdi band so you have as much against the shower base as you want and adhere it to the shower pan with Kerdi Fix and to the Ditra with thinset.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You most definitely can use Kerdi between the Ditra and the shower base. Fold the Kerdi band so you have as much against the shower base as you want and adhere it to the shower pan with Kerdi Fix and to the Ditra with thinset.
Ya Kerdi Fix is another option that should have no problems sticking either.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any alternatives to the Kerdi Fix? I don't think anyone stocks it around me, though ordering it I can get it in a few days. It's also very expensive. Not that I'm trying to cheap out the project.

How many tubes would I need for 3" x 6' > 1.5 sq. ft.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Any alternatives to the Kerdi Fix? I don't think anyone stocks it around me, though ordering it I can get it in a few days. It's also very expensive. Not that I'm trying to cheap out the project.

How many tubes would I need for 3" x 6' > 1.5 sq. ft.
That's a question that's been asked many times, Schluter just says equivalent but no one knows what that is. I assume this is an area that doesn't see any measurable amount of water?

I might use a urethane caulk and spread as you would the thinset under Kerdi, wouldn't think you'd need even 2 tubes.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Drop your backer board on top of the nail flange, tape all seams and screws per manufacturer specs, and do your typical tile install, caulk the bottom of tile along perimeter of the shower base and you can forget it bout it.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drop your backer board on top of the nail flange, tape all seams and screws per manufacturer specs, and do your typical tile install, caulk the bottom of tile along perimeter of the shower base and you can forget it bout it.

Good luck
Your misreading the question. This work is on the curb, outside of the shower. No tile required on the inside of the shower.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I know I'll be slammed for this, but before I knew what I was doing with tile work, I used regular mastic against a few Mustee bases. I still get to see one I did for a friend 20 years ago and the tile is still stuck like molasses.

Chit I remember using luan underlaymement in the same bathroom along with same mastic and that floor has held up like a champ.

I haven't used mastic in years and I couldn't even tell you what brand it was, but it certainly did it's job remarkably well.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
superseal said:
I know I'll be slammed for this, but before I knew what I was doing with tile work, I used regular mastic against a few Mustee bases. I still get to see one I did for a friend 20 years ago and the tile is still stuck like molasses.

Chit I remember using luan underlaymement in the same bathroom along with same mastic and that floor has held up like a champ.

I haven't used mastic in years and I couldn't even tell you what brand it was, but it certainly did it's job remarkably well.
The mustees are not as finished/glossy as an outside curb of a shower pan base.

Red, if you're dead set against tiling the curb;
...de-gloss it. Acetone, works well just be careful not to get it above the line of the tile.

..and make sure the fan is running.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
The mustees are not as finished/glossy as an outside curb of a shower pan base.

Red, if you're dead set against tiling the curb;
...de-gloss it. Acetone, works well just be careful not to get it above the line of the tile.

..and make sure the fan is running.
Sure they are,...I installed plenty of them, have one in my own basement bath. I'ts as glossy as the sun is bright.

Forget the acetone, duct tape a line and sand it out. Today I'd just use flex bond or similar thinset and be done with it.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, Mark. There are probably some mastics and thinsets that are specifically developed to adhere to acrylic but I don't know what they are off the top of my head. I'd just scuff it with some 60 grit and apply EcoPrim Grip then use Laticrete 254. I'd do that because I have all of it in my garage.

When in doubt, I just call the manufacturer and ask them to recommend a product. I'd try Bostik or Mapei first.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
superseal said:
Sure they are,...I installed plenty of them, have one in my own basement bath. I'ts as glossy as the sun is bright.

Forget the acetone, duct tape a line and sand it out. Today I'd just use flex bond or similar thinset and be done with it.
That'll work too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts