Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start a new project with a bunch of condo's each one has a 72"x42" drop in style whirlpool. I have always had the carpenter build the frame about 3/4" lower than lip of the tub. Then install the durarock and tile underneath the lip.

This new tile guy says "no"... the proper way is to build the frame to the lip and caulk the lip to the wood. Then install durarock up against the lip and the same for the tile. He said that way you have more waterproof layers and most tile installers like to tuck it in under..so they don't have to make the cuts around the tub!

I have visited the websites of 3-4 whirlpool manufacturers and their instructions coincide with the new tile guy! :eek:

So, how do you guys install them?

And what about cosmetics? These units are going to start at $1.7mil. :eek:

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Tuck under. Last year I had a customer tell me to tile to, against my advice, then right after the job was done they talked to someone else, and told me to lift the tub, I said no, they got somebody else to do it, then didn't pay me.

Great people, they call themselves christian too. I hope Rich and Ranee from O'fallon MO stumble in here and read this.

Bob

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have always tiled the deck first, then dropped the tub in. Easier to tile for one thing and looks WAY better.

The tub is supposed to be placed onto in a mortar bed anyways so that eliminates a lot the REAL issues that these guys have with wanting the tub in first.

Alwasy remember that makers of these tubs count quietness of the tubs operation as one of the key selling points and each one will tell you that how the tub is made is 50 % of that equation and how it is installed is the other 50%.

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
plumguy said:
Getting ready to start a new project with a bunch of condo's each one has a 72"x42" drop in style whirlpool. I have always had the carpenter build the frame about 3/4" lower than lip of the tub. Then install the durarock and tile underneath the lip.

This new tile guy says "no"... the proper way is to build the frame to the lip and caulk the lip to the wood. Then install durarock up against the lip and the same for the tile. He said that way you have more waterproof layers and most tile installers like to tuck it in under..so they don't have to make the cuts around the tub!

I have visited the websites of 3-4 whirlpool manufacturers and their instructions coincide with the new tile guy! :eek:

So, how do you guys install them?

And what about cosmetics? These units are going to start at $1.7mil. :eek:
thats one of the stupidest things i've herd in a long time ,you sure you were talking to a tile guy and not the pool installer,tuck under works and looks good no need to reinvent the wheel here.i've never done it that way nor have i seen anyone do it that way,(not to mention trying to repair or replace them) thats my opinion,good luck

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys! It looks like tucking the tile under is the majority and I kind of figured and hoped it would be! I have to meet with this guy again this week..I hope he does'nt tell me he tiles around vanities and toilets also. :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
plumguy said:
I hope he does'nt tell me he tiles around vanities and toilets also. :eek: :rolleyes:
Hey, I think I met this guy before!

A while ago I got called by somebody to come out and do some tile and other things, he was a DIYer and had 2 bathrooms he had tiled about 1/3 way. I had never seen anything like it before. Grout lines varied from 1/8 to 3/4s in some places, he had put down some CBU, but had huge voids, like 3-4 inches wide between boards.

When I saw he had tiled around both toilets without removing them I had enough, I just explained everything needed to be ripped out and started over or I wouldn't warranty it. Then when he started to say that it was okay I didn't need to warranty it, I then just felt like I was about to be bent over down the road so I told him, well I don't do any work without a warranty so I guess I can't help you.

That was the last time I ever accepted an appointment to come in and look at fixing a DIYers mess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great question plumguy, I was getting ready to ask the same question as I am installing a jacuzzi tub in my bathroom. I read that you tile up to the tub and leave a 1/4" for expansion. The other thing I wondered is why 1/4" ? It doesnt seem like much but I think caulking looks like crap.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smartie said:
Great question plumguy, I was getting ready to ask the same question as I am installing a jacuzzi tub in my bathroom. I read that you tile up to the tub and leave a 1/4" for expansion. The other thing I wondered is why 1/4" ? It doesnt seem like much but I think caulking looks like crap.
I think you need to read my post again! I personally don't tile...but any job that I have been involved with the tile guy has always tucked the tile under the lip. Where did you come up with 1/4 for expansion?? :eek:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike Finley said:
Hey, I think I met this guy before!

A while ago I got called by somebody to come out and do some tile and other things, he was a DIYer and had 2 bathrooms he had tiled about 1/3 way. I had never seen anything like it before. Grout lines varied from 1/8 to 3/4s in some places, he had put down some CBU, but had huge voids, like 3-4 inches wide between boards.

When I saw he had tiled around both toilets without removing them I had enough, I just explained everything needed to be ripped out and started over or I wouldn't warranty it. Then when he started to say that it was okay I didn't need to warranty it, I then just felt like I was about to be bent over down the road so I told him, well I don't do any work without a warranty so I guess I can't help you.

That was the last time I ever accepted an appointment to come in and look at fixing a DIYers mess.

I don't blame you! I'm the same way! When they call me to make a repair to their work and it looks like a two year old did it....I'm gone... unless it is a total replacement to where I feel comfortable. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
plumguy said:
I think you need to read my post again! I personally don't tile...but any job that I have been involved with the tile guy has always tucked the tile under the lip. Where did you come up with 1/4 for expansion?? :eek:

READ my post. I said that I read you leave a 1/4" epansion , I am just going to tile up to the lip. But I couldn't see anyone tiling over the lip.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
smartie said:
READ my post. I said that I read you leave a 1/4" epansion , I am just going to tile up to the lip. But I couldn't see anyone tiling over the lip.
I don't know if I am understanding what you are trying to say, but the tub lip is going to overlap the tile by about 1-2 inches. The tile should go right to the edge and be flush with the hole you have created in the tub deck. The tub sits down in the hole resting pefectly in a mortar bed AND on the tile of the tub deck. There should be only a minimal caulk line between the tub and the tile. There is no "expansion joint" of any kind.

This is how this jetted tub was installed.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Nice job, Mike. I'm betting this isn't the shower that you 'played twister' in to get the surround glued. :cheesygri :cheesygri What is that high up on the partition wall, almost at the height of the door? Rich.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
LOL, no this certainly isn't that job. The faucet fixtures alone in this one were more than that whole jobs budget was.

You're not talking about the 2nd shower head in the shower are you? Or the robe/towel hook? This shower has 6 heads in it if that is what you are referring to. Or if it is the hook on the wall, that is just for hanging a towel or a robe.

The craziest part of this project was that the tub had to be installed before the framing of the shower because it sits in such a tight fit back there there was no way to get it in after the shower wall was built. (Luckily this was figured out before the walls were framed and tiled and not after!!!!)

I ended up framing the tub deck and then tiling just the top deck of the tub, then the tub was installed, then the shelves behind it were framed and the shower was framed, then all the rest was tiled.

Good luck replacing that tub, unless they want to use a crane through the sky light!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
smartie said:

I leave 1/4" expansion??? Show me where I said that??? :confused:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike Finley said:
LOL, no this certainly isn't that job. The faucet fixtures alone in this one were more than that whole jobs budget was.

You're not talking about the 2nd shower head in the shower are you? Or the robe/towel hook? This shower has 6 heads in it if that is what you are referring to. Or if it is the hook on the wall, that is just for hanging a towel or a robe.

The craziest part of this project was that the tub had to be installed before the framing of the shower because it sits in such a tight fit back there there was no way to get it in after the shower wall was built. (Luckily this was figured out before the walls were framed and tiled and not after!!!!)

I ended up framing the tub deck and then tiling just the top deck of the tub, then the tub was installed, then the shelves behind it were framed and the shower was framed, then all the rest was tiled.

Good luck replacing that tub, unless they want to use a crane through the sky light!

Nice job!! I think I see room for a plasma!! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
smartie said:

OK guys, I don't think smartie means "you" specifically. More like the directions say you're supposed to leave a 1/4" for expansion. "I read that you tile up to the tub....", Hey smartie you aren't by any chance from NJ? I know a lot of people that talk like that...myself included. :D Myself, I vote for tile under, it looks so much better. A bathroom is a "tight" room and you are always close visually to everything, so you are more apt to see minor imperfections than if you stood across a 16' room.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I met with tile installer again today and he finally agreed that he would tile under the lip of the whirlpool!! Wheww! :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts