Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clients have been looking at buying a glass shower door from Kohler.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...18102&prod_num=702010-L&section=2&category=12

Then I would tile the shower stall. I was wondering if someone who has done this before could tell me if doing it this way costs more than buying a one piece shower stall, like the acrylic ones. And if so buy how much, they find hate acrylic ones look like a cheap hotel shower.

The look in the link is what they want, not with an arcylic floor.

Help please,

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Of course the acrylic ones are cheaper than tile showers. That's why they're so popular. I dropped 5K on my tile shower.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I told the wife next time we buy a shower door it won't be one of those fancy see-through shower doors. Some things are better left unseen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, I wasn't saying I was buying a Kohler shower door I wanted to show you what I was talking about, I was trying to show the look that they wanted. And if they went with acrylic they wouldn't be getting a glass door like that, that wasn't what i meant to say. Would you guys/gals have any suggestions on possible alternatives, they need to keep there budget down but what something that looks nice. Thanks,

·
Registered
313 Posts
A shower unit is fine. Did that for a buddy in his basement.

And if they still want tile, just buy them some multi-colored sharpies. :cheesygri

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks. I showed them the shower and they still don't like the look. I don't know what to tell them. I do the work with my brothers and have a couple of guys who do trim and tile and such. I hurt my back and had surgery earlier this year so I hired a team to help me frame, is going up quick and they should pick something soon. I just am not quite sure what it should be. They have found a discount tile place that is not who I normally use but the quality and prices are great. Possibly for a tiled shower. The other showers they were looking at Mirolin, THEY DON'T LIKE THEM.
-This one.
http://www.mirolin.com/mirolin_showers.asp

I don't know what I am going to do, they will probably just have to bite the bullet and spend if thats what they must have.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When I did my shower I didnt put a door. Mine is a glass block that I put in circular ( pretty big) and made the opening away from the flow of the shower head.
I thought about a glass door but didnt do it. We use a showert liner on the inside with a lacey kind of fabric on the outside made by wife.

Wanted to add that those plastic showers are crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We never have used any of those Kohler shower door units.

Tile/stone showers are typically custom designed and not built to accept any pre-made shower doors.

All of our shower doors are field measured and custom fabricated to fit.

Personally, I can not believe anyone would consider using an acrylic shower enclosure. The are really bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts