Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clients have been looking at buying a glass shower door from Kohler.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...18102&prod_num=702010-L&section=2&category=12

Then I would tile the shower stall. I was wondering if someone who has done this before could tell me if doing it this way costs more than buying a one piece shower stall, like the acrylic ones. And if so buy how much, they find hate acrylic ones look like a cheap hotel shower.

The look in the link is what they want, not with an arcylic floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
shower stall

canada4 said:
My clients have been looking at buying a glass shower door from Kohler.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...18102&prod_num=702010-L&section=2&category=12

Then I would tile the shower stall. I was wondering if someone who has done this before could tell me if doing it this way costs more than buying a one piece shower stall, like the acrylic ones. And if so buy how much, they find hate acrylic ones look like a cheap hotel shower.

The look in the link is what they want, not with an arcylic floor.
I also have a client who wants one of these done, my question is how do you slant the floor so the water will drain? My thoughts where to cot tapered shims and then use 3/4 treated plywood and then a cement board.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Use a mud bed, then lay the tile to that after it sets, be sure you check the product, some of these thinset adheasives can't be used for bedding.

Bob

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
my question is how do you slant the floor so the water will drain? My thoughts where to cot tapered shims and then use 3/4 treated plywood and then a cement board.

I think if one is asking questions on how to have the water drain, you should consider letting someone else put it together. Installing a good functioning shower floor with base can be a bit involved.
A waterproof barrier of lead or another material needs to go on after your framing. then your poured / troweled floor. Dont forget to compenstae for any folded material in the corners.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
red_cedar said:
I think if one is asking questions on how to have the water drain, you should consider letting someone else put it together. Installing a good functioning shower floor with base can be a bit involved.

Couldn't agree more, - - this is not a job to 'practice' on. Way too critical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts