Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Newb
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals,
I am an exterior guy but I took this past winter to remodel my bathroom. I used the Kerdi shower system (which is great). My only problem has been the caulk where the floor meets the wall. The caulk has failed here twice. After showering for about a month it starts to peel away. I am using the Laticrete colored non-sanded caulk to match the color of my grout (hemp). Is there something else I should be using here, I have scraped out all that is there and am ready to clean and dry it and redo it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Are you making a 3 sided
mechanical joint, or just coating
the grout with caulk?

·
Newb
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be a three sided joint, I was told not to grout where 2 wall/floor planes meet.

Thanks angus242

·
Bathroom Remodeler
622 Posts
I started out the same way!!! I've learned to use better grout (Quartzlock has a anti-facture resistance to it) And more importantly to lay the shower floor first, then wall tile lapping over floor tile to eliminate an ugly grout joint at the edges....

Unfortunatly, the projects that I did similar to yours.....You have to continue to peel and recaulk....It sucks, but I can't think of any other way to fix once you lay the tile that way:sad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
try using a pure silicone caulk, it contracts and expands, just make sure
you clean joint well, and I use painters tape,top and bottom to keep from
smearing on tile. u can also get a color very close to what u have. make
sure you seat the caulk properly.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey Guys and Gals,
I am an exterior guy but I took this past winter to remodel my bathroom. I used the Kerdi shower system (which is great). My only problem has been the caulk where the floor meets the wall. The caulk has failed here twice. After showering for about a month it starts to peel away. I am using the Laticrete colored non-sanded caulk to match the color of my grout (hemp). Is there something else I should be using here, I have scraped out all that is there and am ready to clean and dry it and redo it.

Thanks.
As said, silicone caulk needs to be used in this area. Acrylic caulk will do what you are experiencing quite often at that specific joint. Many manufacturers make both an acrylic and a silicone color matched caulk for thier grout.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
try using a pure silicone caulk, it contracts and expands, just make sure
you clean joint well, and I use painters tape,top and bottom to keep from
smearing on tile. u can also get a color very close to what u have. make
sure you seat the caulk properly.
Put some rubbing alcohol in
a spray bottle, run your bead,
then spray both sides of the joint.
Now you can tool it off with your finger
(or some fancy tool, if you're
that kind of guy) and it won't smear out.
Silicone won't stick to the alcohol. :thumbsup:

Sometimes it can pay to watch
the granite guys...

·
Bathroom remodeler
19 Posts
a spray bottle, run your bead,
then spray both sides of the joint.
Now you can tool it off with your finger
(or some fancy tool, if you're
that kind of guy) and it won't smear out.
Silicone won't stick to the alcohol. :thumbsup:

Sometimes it can pay to watch
the granite guys...
I tried this, but silicone still sticks even with the alcohol.

·
Tiling & Bath Contractor
270 Posts
If there is a significant amount of moisture in the shower or bathroom, acrylic caulk is NOT going to hold up. You need to use 100% silicone.

I've encountered this many times and have told the customers that they really need to address their moisture issue. Which means running their exhaust fan when they use their shower. If they don't have an exhaust fan (because there's only a window), than a fan should be installed.

I've been in houses where the builder/architect only left about a 5" opening above the glass shower door. Now where on earth is all that moisture going to go? And the owner was wondering why there's mold on the ceiling and the drywall tape is coming loose :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
a spray bottle
I learned this trick early on, it works great.

I have a question for you silicone guys. When silicone fails - and it will fail - how do you remove it and what do you clean the surface with so that you can get new silicone to stick?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks Cooke, I'll give that a shot the next time I need to prep after silicone. :thumbsup:

You think the homeowner will get pissed if I raid her fingernail polish remover? :w00t:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Thanks Cooke, I'll give that a shot the next time I need to prep after silicone. :thumbsup:

You think the homeowner will get pissed if I raid her fingernail polish remover? :w00t:
It's also good if you have to remove any laminated surface and keep it in tact.

No, don't use the h/o stuff, buy it from a paint store (or HD).

I learned that one the hard way.....:whistling

1 - 20 of 20 Posts