Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have bathroom coming up that calls for some tile wainscoting in a bathroom.

It will consist of 3 - 12x12 tile high + about 6" of mosaic above that and a pencil trim to cap it off.

Would you just use 1/2" cement board for the bottom three feet and then run the tile up onto the drywall? I'm wondering where to put the cementboard/drywall transition? Or would you just put the tile over drywall?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Drywall unless it's gonna get wet.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good. Thanks for the replies. Thats what I needed.

This is going to be my most expensive bathroom remodel yet. Looks like about $25k gonna go into this one.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks for the replies. Thats what I needed.

This is going to be my most expensive bathroom remodel yet. Looks like about $25k gonna go into this one.
That's awesome! There is a sweet spot for price. Anything below that and it feels cheap and over that price they get to be a pain in the arse and nick pick the everything.

·
Contractor Cruz
5 Posts
One thing we do here is wire the drywall (in your case 3 feet") with diamond lath (.75) obviously "paper'd" for any water that may splash, and cement scratch-coat the entire 3 feet and consider the thickness for your finish at the top (pencil rod, etc.)

Unless the walls are currently up the studs, then it wouldn't be bad to add the cement board. We're a little old school and do the cement lath surfacing.

Good luck on your project and congrats on the agreed project price! \m/

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
One thing we do here is wire the drywall (in your case 3 feet") with diamond lath (.75) obviously "paper'd" for any water that may splash, and cement scratch-coat the entire 3 feet and consider the thickness for your finish at the top (pencil rod, etc.)

Unless the walls are currently up the studs, then it wouldn't be bad to add the cement board. We're a little old school and do the cement lath surfacing.

Good luck on your project and congrats on the agreed project price! \m/
Why?

·
Contractor Cruz
5 Posts
Usually whoever does the surfacing if it isnt the tilers and or granite guys DO NOT take consideration of a leveled surface. We ensure its leveled using this method, plus its a way to guarantee any damage

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Usually whoever does the surfacing if it isnt the tilers and or granite guys DO NOT take consideration of a leveled surface. We ensure its leveled using this method, plus its a way to guarantee any damage
We watied 6 months for that? :blink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts