Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, my wife has finally convinced me that we should put hardwood on the main level of our house. We are getting a sweet deal on the flooring as she knows a rep. Anyway, I have to remove, ceramic tile, vinyl tiles and particleboard underlay in certain areas prior to the new flooring going down. Being as how many of you do this on a daily basis do you have any hints or shortcuts to make this an easier removal process??? Thanks in advance!

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
alot of elbow grease and if you can stand the mess, you can set a depth on your saw and chunk it out all at once possibly.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Get a couple of different sized pry bars and a couple of good square bladed shovels and get an edge up and start going back and forth between all your tools as you get purchases that apply to each one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
And safety glasses. Really, my old boss got hit dead in the eye with a flying peice of tile, cataract and ripped his lens. Had to get operated on and stitches in his eye. ouch!

Don

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
A air chisel will get that ceramic tile up no problem. Not sure about other surfaces that need to come up. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm going with Flor on the field sections, take the whole shebang out in chunks. I love my air hammer, use it for the detail work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I started on the weekend and though I was sick all weekend I got 3/4 of the stuff up, it only took me about 2 hours per room so far, the underlay was stapled down so once I got started it came up pretty easily using a wonderbar and a hammer, most pieces were between 2 and 4 sqft in size so went fairly quickly. Haven't started the dining room yet but popped out a couple of tiles and they came out pretty easily. I think this may be the first time I'm glad the previous owner did a bad job on something!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts