Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wasting Time
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would look best:
(1) Tiling flush with finished drywall, no grout-colored caulk (giving appearance that tile just ends in drywall?
(2) Leaving space for grout-colored caulk?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
question was already answered correctly, so i gotta side track and ask what in the heck is supposed to shower in such a small space??:eek:

·
Wasting Time
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
question was already answered correctly, so i gotta side track and ask what in the heck is supposed to shower in such a small space??:eek:
It was an already existing shower. I just tore it out and redid it. I agree it's kind of small about 41" X 40"

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
It was an already existing shower. I just tore it out and redid it. I agree it's kind of small about 41" X 40"
I ws just counting your what appears to be 12" tile and i seen a 3'x3' finished opening....plenty of room to walk in and just say your in there...now actually trying to life an arm up to wash, aint really happening.. or i should say, it aint happening without getting flustered unless that shower is for Popeye's ole lady LOL!!

Do you know what the problem was why that bump out had to be built that way? and the shower not taken all the way out to the drywalled wall??

·
Wasting Time
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ws just counting your what appears to be 12" tile and i seen a 3'x3' finished opening....plenty of room to walk in and just say your in there...now actually trying to life an arm up to wash, aint really happening.. or i should say, it aint happening without getting flustered unless that shower is for Popeye's ole lady LOL!!

Do you know what the problem was why that bump out had to be built that way? and the shower not taken all the way out to the drywalled wall??
You're very close, they are 13" tiles (40" rough opening). It's very tight. I'm not a little fella, so working in that tight spot wasn't fun.

Poor overall house design I guess is the problem. The open area of the staircase is immediately behind it, just can't go out any farther. Can't bring in the bathroom any either because of toilet. These people had the home built in 1965 and they together probably don't weigh any more than Olive Oil.:laughing:

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
on the outside corner, I always leave off corner bead and run bull nose tiles out to drywall edge and float out the space between tiles and drywall with durabond this allows you to plumb outside corner if not truly plumb no caulking or grout reuqired. :thumbsup:

·
Wasting Time
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on the outside corner, I always leave off corner bead and run bull nose tiles out to drywall edge and float out the space between tiles and drywall with durabond this allows you to plumb outside corner if not truly plumb no caulking or grout reuqired. :thumbsup:
What I planned to do for the outside corner was to use some Schluter metal edging. I bet it would look nice doing it as you described. Had any expansion/contraction issues doing it that way?

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
What I planned to do for the outside corner was to use some Schluter metal edging. I bet it would look nice doing it as you described. Had any expansion/contraction issues doing it that way?

I use Schluter Rondec for corners like that all the time - haven't had a problem yet

The rondec has a bullnose profile - perfect for o/s corners

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
20,717 Posts
Nope. no issues. I too use Rondec and Jolly for a lot of tile jobs.

·
Wasting Time
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use Schluter Rondec for corners like that all the time - haven't had a problem yet

The rondec has a bullnose profile - perfect for o/s corners
Nope. no issues. I too use Rondec and Jolly for a lot of tile jobs.

I planned on using the Jolly in an oil rubbed bronze to match the shower. Any opinons about Jolly vs. Rondec?

·
Carpe Diem
20,717 Posts
I planned on using the Jolly in an oil rubbed bronze to match the shower. Any opinons about Jolly vs. Rondec?
I use Rondec and Jolly for 2 different applications.

I use Jolly as an edge finish or "cap" to tile. I cannot stand when guys have an exposed tile edge and finish it off with caulk :furious::censored::furious:. That's when I'd use Jolly.

You can see in the picture Jarvis supplied how he uses Rondec. That's the same way I use it.

You can interchange depending on how you want the finished product to look.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Question for you all. What if you run into a client that is adamant about not using schluter? I had a client who said he hated the way it looked. I had no choice but to end with tile edge. I used the sanded griot silicone to finish?

What other options are out there ?

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
3 1/2 yr old thread but I'll bite...

You could bullnose the edge and polish it if stone or porcelain. I just had some pieces done for my own bath. Bullnosed, stained and glazed. Provides a nice finish.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doctor Handyman said:
3 1/2 yr old thread but I'll bite...

You could bullnose the edge and polish it if stone or porcelain. I just had some pieces done for my own bath. Bullnosed, stained and glazed. Provides a nice finish.
Is that very costly?

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
I had 45 pieces done, cut to 4 x 12 at $6.99 apiece.

More expensive than Schluter trim which is about $20/8', but I did not want that commercial look for my own bath.

I may consider buying the profiling blade that fits on a tile saw and some polishing pads for the next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doctor Handyman said:
I had 45 pieces done, cut to 4 x 12 at $6.99 apiece.

More expensive than Schluter trim which is about $20/8', but I did not want that commercial look for my own bath.

I may consider buying the profiling blade that fits on a tile saw and some polishing pads for the next time.
That's a nice look. Might have to look into the blade myself. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts