Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tile in kitchen will be approx a 1/4 inch higher then adjacent hard wood floor. What are my options to transition this ?

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Why will it be that much higher?

If both floors start with the same subfloor, this doesn't have to be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
angus242 said:
Why will it be that much higher? If both floors start with the same subfloor, this doesn't have to be.
They did not start out the same and this is the closest we can get it unless we tile directly to plywood. So call it what you want poor planning etc, but this is my predicament and I'm sure I am not the only one who had two different floor planes and there must be a suction to my problem

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
They did not start out the same and this is the closest we can get it unless we tile directly to plywood. So call it what you want poor planning etc, but this is my predicament and I'm sure I am not the only one who had two different floor planes and there must be a suction to my problem
Use a membrane like GreenSkin. It's really thin. Then tile to that. Should get you really close.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
I would make a transition piece out of 5/4 the same spieces as your flooring. Plane the transition down so it is flush with the tile and then give it a nice chamfer that blends into the flooring.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Personally, I'd take a piece of the flooring & make my own reducer. 1/4" to 1/16th & glue & pin it to the hardwood.
Yep. Easily done with a palm sander and a table saw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts