Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some exterior stairs that have been tiled. The tile seams cracked and came up. The stairs were formed with deck mud.The mud got wet and turned to sand. Is this a good idea for tile exposed to the weather, should I go back with concrete?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the stairs were formed with deck mud,,same as a shower pan, it turned to sand after getting wet, should I go back with same or replace it with concrete and relay the tile over it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Clearly there are some regional differences, but you make it sound like 'deck mud' is some low-grade concrete.......is that right?

You say the mud got wet and turned to sand. If something that just happened to get wet turned to sand, it very likely started as sand. If it was rained on shortly after pouring however, you will often be left with a sandy finish, which often can be dealt with.

If you're in Phoenix, freeze/thaw is not something you need to worry about......crappy construction practices however, are.

Is this relatively sound mud that saw rain right after pouring? You can fix this......

Or did this 'deck mud' turn to sand?

Let's start there..........

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
deck mud( some people call it dry pack mortar) is 5 parts sand and 1 part Portland cement, it's what we use for shower pans, but I was not aware that it could be used outside. I live in Tx. so freezing is a factor. It's about 5 stairs big and I'm thinking the whole thing needs to be removed and redone with cement and then retiled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts