Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been soon custom tile for about 4 or 5 years now and I have developed my skills well. I recently did a custom shower job for someone in which I demoed and removed the old 3x4 shower down to the studs mud pan and all totally replaced it. New delta shower faucet, new drain, new mud pan, tile floor, walls, even two rows of diamond inlays and a 3" border, I even threw in the installation of a shower door they purchased. I did the whole job material and labor for $1900 and they balked at the bill.

My question is are my prices high or are they average or low and the customer just isn't in touch with reality?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
This will be somewhat of an irrelevant number for you but last week I was called in to do the plumbing portion of a project exactly like you describe. The tile guy isn't a plumber and always calls me in to swap new valves and configure a new drain. My bill for labor and material was $970 and includes one extra trip to set the trim......which will be tomorrow morning incidentally.

I'm not 100% sure what Rich charged for the total job but knowing him I'd say it was close to $3,500.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inner10 said:
Did it work out to more of less than 3.50 a square foot?
It worked out to $11 per square foot. But that includes plumbing and demo and cement boarding and everything.

·
If my PO asks,I set tile
688 Posts
I would be happy to sub out all my tile work to you!:thumbup::whistling

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Stevarino said:
It worked out to $11 per square foot. But that includes plumbing and demo and cement boarding and everything.
you sure you got labour in there. I've had tile showers small there that just the materials coming in around 2k.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Geez that's low. I hope you didn't spend any time installing any free soap dishes, shampoo niches, towel bars or anything else, too.

One key to providing good value is educating the client from the beginning. They need to know you're on their side from the get-go, and that when they change/add things, it's not still part of some magic ballpark number everyone started with. Not that this is what happened to you, but it reminds me of some of my jobs...

Anyway, good luck with it all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EthanB said:
What kind of waterproofing? Customers are almost never in touch with reality.
Rubber membrane and a thin set skim coat we didn't use any red devil or anything on this job.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Rubber membrane and a thin set skim coat we didn't use any red devil or anything on this job.
How many days and men to finish?

They Balked - When you presented the bid or after knowing the bid and come time to write the check?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Maybe base your pricing on your closing %. If you sell all the jobs you quote then your prices are way low. For me, I have a 40% close rate which works for me. You'll find that by raising your prices will lessen the headaches and gain you better clients.
This is good advice but shouldn't be considered until you learn that L+M+O+P=Price. What someone else charges is only relevant if they are using the exact same specifications and are in your market area. Otherwise it's all piss in the wind.

L=Labor
M=Materials
O=Overhead
P=Profit

I linked the thread in my signature.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
My first attempt at pricing was as follows....

Called every plumber and asked what they charged per hour.

Took the highest guy and thought "Hmmmm, I like his style"

Backed her off about a 1/8 turn and gave her hell.

Been tweaking it ever since.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,639 Posts
This is good advice but shouldn't be considered until you learn that L+M+O+P=Price. What someone else charges is only relevant if they are using the exact same specifications and are in your market area. Otherwise it's all piss in the wind.

L=Labor
M=Materials
O=Overhead
P=Profit

I linked the thread in my signature.
Very true. I always forget to add that calculation because thats been set in stone for years on my end :thumbup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Texas Wax said:
How many days and men to finish? They Balked - When you presented the bid or after knowing the bid and come time to write the check?
It took 3 days two of them it was me and one guy and one day it was just me.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts