Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone. I am in need of a new tile saw. Long story short I had a 7 inch ridgid wet tile saw, took **** in the middle of a bathroom remodel. Tile floor and 6x6 tile shower. Needless to say I had to buy something asap to finish the job. I ended up at lowes and got the 10 inch wet saw. Well I ened up returning it as I believe the shaft was bent and the blade was wobbling up to 1/8.

So now here i sit with no saw and tile jobs coming up. What are you guys using and recommendations? I'm a general contractor that likes to do alot of his own work and probably only use on a dozen jobs a year.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GC
146 Posts
I have the top of the like Ridged, for the exact same reason as the one you just bought. It's ok on tile up to 8x8, but beyond that it just isn't accurate enough. I've spent hours trying to get the damn thing to cut square, it just won't do it. It's always off a 1/16 or so. Don't even bother trying to adjust the laser guide, I think they they stuck it on just to **** with us as the adjustment is so sloppy as to be useless.
I also have a 40 year old MK that's dead on, every cut is perfectly square. It weighs about 150 pounds and won't cut anything bigger that 12x12. It doesn't get much use.

I here the Dewalt is pretty good, around $900. Most reviews I've seen say it's right on straight out of the box with a solid table and no blade wobble.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
424 Posts
mk is solid... I picked a used one up for $300 on craigslist 15 years ago that never let me down... loaned it to a client and it's dead...

I don't do much tile either, but I splurged on this guy...

Rubi DC 250-1200 48" Rail Saw

80-00393-2.jpg

for three reasons...

1. I can use it to cut a miter.

2. It can cut the really large format tile that is super popular right now.

3. Best value I could find that did those two things.

Hoping it lasts me another 15 years...

both of these are wet saws... I can't imagine dry cutting any significant amount of tile

the water set up for the rubi is annoying if you only have a small amount of tile work to do... 20 gallons or some **** like that. And it's big which is also annoying for moving around although it comes with built in transport wheels. Haven't tried to set it up or move it by myself but would seem difficult by your self unless you had a ramp for loading. Of course the mk probably contributed to my hernia.. that thing was freakin' heavy...

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,378 Posts
The key phrase there is "probably only use on a dozen jobs a year."

So which is it? Do you want a good saw, or one that's just kinda good enough to get mediocre results?

·
Registered
GC
146 Posts

So which is it? Do you want a good saw, or one that's just kinda good enough to get mediocre results?
With tile saws, it's perfect or junk, there ain't no middle of the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I dont want junk. I had junk and returned it. I was just saying I don't use it daily, but I want a nice saw. I don't buy good enough anything because that gives you a ****ty result.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,233 Posts
Can’t go wrong with MK I my opinion.

I have an old MK that isn’t even made anymore, and it works great

I want to upgrade to a bigger saw with more features, but I’ll stick with MK. Or maybe Husqvarna.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I'm not a full time tile guy, maybe two jobs year.

I have a 10" Harbor Freight saw that I bought years ago when I was flat broke, and it does fine by me as long as it has a fresh good quality blade on it.

Lately we've been abusing the hell out of it by wet cutting cultured stone, but when it gets moved to stone only detail I'll replace it with something of better quality.

Honestly for the money though, it's been great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good luck with that Rubi. I bought one a couple of years ago for a job we were installing 48x48 tiles and for the life of me couldn't get that thing to cut true. spent hours trying to adjust it, changed blades, called their CS all fruitless. ended up selling it for like $300 at a huge loss.

mk is solid... I picked a used one up for $300 on craigslist 15 years ago that never let me down... loaned it to a client and it's dead...

View attachment 508099

I don't do much tile either, but I splurged on this guy...

Rubi DC 250-1200 48" Rail Saw

View attachment 508098

for three reasons...

1. I can use it to cut a miter.

2. It can cut the really large format tile that is super popular right now.

3. Best value I could find that did those two things.

Hoping it lasts me another 15 years...

both of these are wet saws... I can't imagine dry cutting any significant amount of tile

the water set up for the rubi is annoying if you only have a small amount of tile work to do... 20 gallons or some **** like that. And it's big which is also annoying for moving around although it comes with built in transport wheels. Haven't tried to set it up or move it by myself but would seem difficult by your self unless you had a ramp for loading. Of course the mk probably contributed to my hernia.. that thing was freakin' heavy...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got the Dewalt contractor tile saw (24000 model-25" rip, 18" diagonal) back when they first came out. No complaints, cuts accurate to 1/32. Though I can't say if they've gotten better or worse with time. I know they also have one that cuts larger format, the 36000 model.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I use the Husqvarana TS-60, preforms really well. Most times I’m using my Montolit or Rubi snapper.

Water management on the TS-60 is beyond amazing.

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts