Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading reviews and poking around site to site trying to make a decision. I had an old hand me down target that has finally burnt out. I need a new tile saw and I have a hard time dropping a grand without knowing it's properly spent. I have been looking at the dewalt d24000 the bosch dc10 and the mk diamond 100 or 101?. I'm not trying to spend more than 1000 but I want a quality tool that will make good clean accurate cuts and last me. I do a fair amount of tile work between bathrooms and kitchens so I don't want a light diy saw but I'm also not able to buy a top dollar saw at this time unfortunately. Any suggestions are welcome or if anyone has or used the saws mentioned your input is appreciated! !

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Take a look at Imer bridge saws---You will be spending a bit over $1000--but with the popularity of the huge tiles--the price difference might be a savings in the long run--

The MK-101 is a work horse---look for a used one you will have a hard time killing one--however,it will hurt your back---that's one heavy hunk of tool.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I'll second the bridge saw vote. I've not personally used an Imer but every tile man I've talked to that has loves them. Check with tile stores/distributors in your area and see if they have any floor models or discontinued saws that you can score a deal on.

I bought a $3000 Rubi rail saw like that for less than half that. It was a few years old at the time but it had sat in the showroom the entire time and had never even been plugged in.

Rail saws are more versatile and the accuracy is night and day above a cart saw.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Imer is my next big purchase---I have two cheap-os and my back is just to painful for heavy saws---the Imer is very compact--

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of that imer and the versatility. But I think as long as I can rip 24" and diagonal 18" I should be safe. I'll add the husqvarna ts 60 to the list of options too. They purchased target didn't they?

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
I have the TS-60 and love it. The water control is fantastic and then some. I'm currently looking to upgrade my snap cutter and the thread about them has been invaluable.

So you know---This is where I purchased my TS-60, they currently are running a 5% off sale until the end of July 6th. Enter USA5 in the coupon box. I got really great service from them.

http://www.stonetooling.com

I'm leaning towards the Rubi TX900N. Any input from you guys who use these all the time would be appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel I'm being indecisive. It doesn't seem like any of the saws at the 500 dollar level are very versatile or going to be something I'd use long term. And I only have a few options at 1000. Is there any good sources to find a quality used saw?

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I feel I'm being indecisive. It doesn't seem like any of the saws at the 500 dollar level are very versatile or going to be something I'd use long term. And I only have a few options at 1000. Is there any good sources to find a quality used saw?
You are correct. $1000 is the starting point for a decent saw. The DeWalt is probably the most versatile saw for the money as far as what it can do. If you do tile for a living you will probably outgrow it. My advice is to get a rail saw from the get go and a nice snapper. You're gonna have to double your budget or go used though.

If I were starting over, the Imer 250 would be the saw I bought. You just can't beat it for weight, versatility, quality, and price. There are three saws in my storage shed that never move... If the job requires a wet saw my Rubi comes out. If not my two snappers and makitas get the job done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For me tile is not a living. I'm a general contractor and I do a lot of kitchens and bathrooms. So it's back splashes tile floors and showers. I really don't wanna break 1000 so I can keep in my budget. I am a believer of buy it right or buy it twice but I can't go over 1000 right now. Even a thousand hurts but it is what it is and I'm a firm believer of quality tools.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
In that case you really can't go wrong with the DeWalt. You can find refurbs for around $750 iirc.

Reactions: BlueRidgeGreen

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
For me tile is not a living. I'm a general contractor and I do a lot of kitchens and bathrooms. So it's back splashes tile floors and showers. I really don't wanna break 1000 so I can keep in my budget. I am a believer of buy it right or buy it twice but I can't go over 1000 right now. Even a thousand hurts but it is what it is and I'm a firm believer of quality tools.
I just bought the Dewalt from stone tooling. It was on sale for under $750 with the stand last month. I am in the same situation as you. We are a general contractor and do the exact same types of jobs you just mentioned. I probably lay tile something between 10 and 20 times a year depending on the year. The Dewalt was the happy medium on price and value for me. I love it so far. Dead accurate, water control is great compared to my Chicago Electric, (no duh!) rips 24" tiles without having to do funky things like my last saw.

If I was in your place, I'd buy the Dewalt and a nice snap cutter which could be $250-$300. Search the threads about them, there are some great discussions and recommendations on what to get. If you've tried one from Lowes or HD, a $300 will blow that out of the water. I use it on every job now pretty much. Saves blades on your saw and is faster with less back and forth as you can have it right there in your room even with limited space.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the dewalt is the current front runner for me. I do have a snap cutter and I do enjoy the quick clean easy cuts. I will look into upgrading it in the near future.

·
Grampy
173 Posts
I have the MK 770 that I bought 10 years ago. I use it weekly, it works well for me. I do mostly bathrooms & back splash. A good blade in in any wet saw is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered the d24000 with the stand. Seems to be the best value from what I've researched. Thank you all for the input, it's much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Order a Raimondi T3 Razor blade while you're at it. The stock DeWalt blade sucks ass lol.
I almost did. I figured I'd kill the Dewalt first... lol. It did better than whatever POS was on my last saw.

On that subject, how do you use a dressing stone...? I bought the True blue dressing stone to try help it last longer.

As best as I can tell you just cut through it a few times to clean off the build up and expose the diamonds again right? I set mine to cut through half way real close to the end so I wasn't wasting too much of it. Then I flipped it and made a pass again to cut the rest of the way through.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I almost did. I figured I'd kill the Dewalt first... lol. It did better than whatever POS was on my last saw.

On that subject, how do you use a dressing stone...? I bought the True blue dressing stone to try help it last longer.

As best as I can tell you just cut through it a few times to clean off the build up and expose the diamonds again right? I set mine to cut through half way real close to the end so I wasn't wasting too much of it. Then I flipped it and made a pass again to cut the rest of the way through.
Yep that's all there is to it. A piece of concrete block or paver does the same thing. I like those dressing stones because I just throw it in my tile tool bucket organizer thing and I never have to search for something to use.

Reactions: Xtrememtnbiker
1 - 17 of 17 Posts