Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello:

I'm putting in a new fiberglass shower.

As everyone knows, the valve comes with a big plastic ring I think is called a tile ring.

Is there any reason to drill such a large hole in a fiberglass unit to accomodate this ring, or do I just take it off and discard it and drill a hole large enough for the valve itself?

thanks again;

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can make this hole as small as possible, however leave enough room for the valve to be taken apart.
The plastic ring can be installed behind the shower unit, with the hole smaller than the ring, this way it will help to support the valve,

BJD

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
plumguy said:
Also, make sure the hole is big enough for the screw holes for the finish trim.
HA HA, more than once I have had to take out a utility knife to enlarge the hole for the screws to pass through from the trim ring to the valve! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
if the hole isnt large enough you wont be able to remove the cartridge if you have to replace it and risk damage to the shower if this has to be at later date. I also have a few chose words whenever I have to work on one that isnt done wright.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Duuuuudes!
This really sounds like a homeowner item, it should have been sent to the DIY forum.
Y'all have to work with us to keep the site what it is intended to be.
We work too. You can't expect us to be here 24/7.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a 'homeowner' question, - - and a question from a guy who works in some trades and 'dabbles' in others, - - or even a guy who didn't necessarily START OUT with say, - - 30 years of experience. If no question is good enough, why are we here??

·
Registered
47 Posts
If no question is good enough, why are we here??

Well said Tom.
There seem to be a few too many here who are overly eager to judge. ALL questions are good questions, thus the expression, "stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes".
Seems like every time I log on here to check the new posts some idiot is jumping to conclusions.
I have almost had enough of it. Too bad though, there are some genuine contributors here. If only that one sphincter would stick to screening posts and refrain from replying to them unless he has some constructive advice to offer...

Paulsan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts